Server upgrades!

News hot off the presses! (sort-of)

Moderator: BioHazard

BioHazard

Server upgrades!

Post by BioHazard »

A friend of mine gave me some of his old hardware so now I have a whole computer's worth of stuff to upgrade my server.

Old server:
  • 400Mhz AMD K6-2
  • 128MB PC100 SDRAM
  • 6GB Maxtor broken HD
New server:
  • 1.4Ghz AMD Athalon
  • 512MB PC133 SDRAM
  • 20GB Maxtor HDD
Obvioulsy, this machine will be much better than what I have now.

I plan on continuing my SVN hosting service after I get the server back up. All 0 of you who use my SVN service have probably noticed it's down right now. I had to use the SVN server's case for this new server. It should be done in a few days.

This system will be based on Gentoo Linux 2006.1. I'm going to try to keep it as secure as possible. I might need some of you hacker types help me out with securing this machine. I'll keep a log in my blog area about the install procedure since people seem to be interested in people's install experiences with Gentoo. Plus it will show how I set up an SVN server.
Last edited by BioHazard on Fri Oct 20, 2006 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
NecroMage

Post by NecroMage »

Poor BioHazard, no one uses his svn even though he offers it for free. But rest assure that if I ever actually start a project that I deem that I need an svn for then I will most certianally ask you for the use of the svn.

(that and I need my own computer so that I can install an svn browser on to it)
grubber
Site Founder

Post by grubber »

Maxtor? Blergh. I got Maxtor Diamond Max 250 GB, it broke after 4 (!!!) days. The replacement one they gave me broke after 4 months. I won't ever touch Maxtor again.

BTW, my own server (not drdteam.org) specs are:
  • 150 MHz Pentium
  • 32 MB RAM
  • 1 GB WD HDD
...it's enough for running samba & httpd. Anyway, I'm installing an 250 GB WD HDD into it (I hope it will work) in few days, so I can finally use it as a fileserver for my stuff.
Last edited by grubber on Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:26, edited 1 time in total.
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

Grubber wrote:Maxtor? Blergh. I got Maxtor Diamond Max 250 GB, it broke after 4 (!!!) days. The replacement one they gave me broke after 4 months. I won't ever touch Maxtor again.
Grubber wrote:
  • 1 GB WD HDD
Wow, I got exacly the opposite. I've had dozens of failed WD drives but I've never lost a Maxtor. Strange.
MasterOFDeath

Post by MasterOFDeath »

On the topic of weak servers, I grabbed my first computer from my grandmother's some time ago and I intend to fix/clean it up a bit for old DOS games that XP thinks are evil. Out of curiosity, if I find a network card that will work with a machine this ancient, what do you think I could do with it as far as a server goes? :P
  • 100 Mhz Pentium
    16 MB RAM
    2GB HDD
    5GB HDD
I'm only missing 3 things to run it, really. The monitor's power cable, an old AT keyboard, and an old serial mouse. I may have a keyboard.
grubber
Site Founder

Post by grubber »

As long as you have DOS on it, nothing.
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

Really, I can't think of much of anything you can do with 16MB of RAM. That's not even enough to boot up even the smallest modern production OS I've found.

(watch everyone cite various Linux distros I don't know about and call me stupid)
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

I bet Damn Small Linux might work.
grubber
Site Founder

Post by grubber »

Something X-less would work better.
MasterOFDeath

Post by MasterOFDeath »

The most recent OS I know works on it is Windows 98 (its actually whats on it now). However, thats the problem, its Windows 98.

I likely won't use it for a server, although now I'm curious to find all the tiny Linux distros and try them out on it. Maybe I should do that once I actually find somewhere to set it up and that $#!% keyboard.

Return to “From Bio's Desk”