Personal Reminder on some Changes: Global Standardizations

Forums for TGRDM3 [Home Not Yet Defined][/note]

Moderator: TGRDM3 Team

Tiger
Developer
Developer

Personal Reminder on some Changes: Global Standardizations

Post by Tiger »

I've been thinking about some of the older projects that I have done and what I could have done better, but recently I have in mind on correcting some of my mistakes that is still plausible to correct to this day. I am not going to stop completely on TGRDM3 and work on my older projects and make them better within the virtual world, not at all - but instead the changes shouldn't really be noticeable at all to any average user. However, these changes are merely alterations within the inside of the files and the textfile that is included with the projects. Some changes being - expunging some unnecessary content, ditch the older method of compressing the virtual world that was in favor of size and security, open the ACS scripts in Navala (though it is really nothing exciting), and overhaul the internal database (I have a zip file called 'trash' that has been setting with > 1GB of data and I don't remember what was in it?), for example. Following further, the push for these changes is merely for a more and better standards as opposed to doing things in ones own way, regardless of bias opinions. Following with standards through-out will keep everything consistent and as expected to the users or viewers. Furthermore, these changes - after being finalized are going to be 'silently' updated and available. This means that I am not going to do a huge announcements on various sources such as Zandronum Forums and Wads in Progress about the updates and I am not going to re-upload the files to /IDGames, this silence - is will just cover this topic, mild news announcement and some minor alterations on the TGR site. To avoid a much larger wall-of-text that even I wouldn't want to read (just the plan is fine for me, personally), below is some of the modifications that will take place:

Taskload or Summery of Changes:
  • [*]MASTER files are unnecessary
    [list][*]Compression can now be done by the Level Editor with a specific Node builder and is probably much better as opposed to the older method. To be more precise, a older method of compression that can lead to corruption when opening the file into a level editor or cause issues to the virtual world.
    [*]Open the ACS scripts in TGRCP1 and keep all scripts in the future 'open'.
    [*]Security is unnecessary within the PWAD[1,2] level

[*]ROL is just LOL in a nutshell and TGRFS doesn't help
[list][*]Completely remove any remaining Restrictions of Limitations (ROL) and TGRFS lumps and legalities (because it is a pile of crap anyways) and append to DMCMU entirely for all versions, and this primarily includes the older versions. Expressing credits and changes can be included within Doomworld's standard PWAD readme ASCII file.[/list]

[*]Open Resources <READY>
[list][*]The resources used in 1.40 && 1.70 are open to the public {Exclusion of ROL boundaries}[/list]

[*]Bastard Child <-- No true conclusion yet; need more time to think this through or need opinions
[list][*]As =< 1.70 are all designed for SkullTag and not 'specifically' for Zandronum, it may be best to include a sub-download for the designed or supported port version of SkullTag. Or - generally revise them to work on Zandronum. I need opinions on this one.
[*]TGRDM3 since the BlauNacht Development Phase has curved to GZDoom as the primary engine instead of SkullTag or would be Zandronum; thus - there is a slight inconsistency issue with the latter projects.[/list]

[*]Don't beat on PLA%; the idea - - sucked is not necessary
[list][*]Any file within =< 1.77 expunge PLA% references. Adjacent to the LBC%, both of these are not necessary and the ideas on both of these 'bundled' concepts are just - terrible. Keep PLA% in history notes including LBC%.
[/list]

[*]Version Control
[list]TGR has always had some - - strange Version Control Management that doesn't make any logical sense. All major projects are centralized to one version - but does this make any sense as the projects are not completely related?
[list]
00.00.00.00 -> MAJOR INDENT.SubID.DevA.DevB -> 01.02.0.5f (direct: TGRDM3 (Codename Morgenstern) 01.02.0.5f Development Build)
[*]0.00 ~ Jana [In Early Development \ Doesn't Exist]
[*]1.00 ~ Deminsion
[*]1.40 ~ Inspratel
[*]1.70 ~ Navala
[*]1.90 or 2.00 ~ Morgenstern [Still in development until 2050....][/list]
Notice how - odd this is? Consider all individual major individual projects having their own versions instead of being crafted into one horrific and nonsense version addressing.[/list]

[*]Try to open all versions to the public (or atleast downloadable)
  • All major projects versions - why not make them openly available? (Following with all of the changes stated)
  • PWAD2 sources is omitted unless there is a special need to prompt to this action
[*]Rename TGRDM1b -> TGRDM1
[list][*]TGRDM1'b' being a port addressing scheme is no longer being used and hasn't been used as it was never truly necessary.[/list][/list]

Effected Projects:
  • TGRDM1b [ROL && DMCMU] @ version 1.00 -> 1.01
  • TGRDM2 [ROL && DMCMU] @ version 1.40 -> 1.43
  • TGRCP1 [ROL && DMCMU] @ version 1.70 -> 1.77
  • SVHeretic [DMCMU ~ TGRFS] @ Latest
  • SVDoom [DMCMU ~ TGRFS] @ Latest
  • And any side-project that has either ROL/ROL Professional/TGRFS/DMCMU or ShortHand
Side Task:
  • Release (NOT MAJOR\SILENT) an unofficial and not completed build of TGRDM3.
    • If plausible: Glory Development Phase @ 17 Oktober 2010 [TGRDM3 (Codename Morgenstern) 01.02.0.5f Development Build]
Last edited by Tiger on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:39, edited 1 time in total.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Re: Personal Reminder on some Changes: Global Standardizatio

Post by Tiger »

I have tried at my best to get this finished, but it seems I have reached a minor detour. I have decided that the best route for the projects that were previously released for SkullTag is to port them over to ZDoom. However, as the projects were originally designed for SkullTag, some of its resources such as: Spheres, weapons, monsters, and runes where used within the projects. It might be possible, with using resources from Realm667, that everything can be easily ported over; but, however, the runes may not be ported over or may not even be possible. Thus - sadly, the projects may have to be further tweaked in such a way that the runes are either replenished with what is available or just disappear entirely. Furthermore, there will have to be new version releases. It would be logical that the latest project versions (not the previous versions) be ported over to ZDoom and expand onto a new version, which is specifically for this port transitioning and expunging any dedicated port lumps and information.

This is a shit-sandwitch that I really don't want to deal with.... But in order to keep these projects alive in the future - switching to the parent engine is necessary, as opposed to hoping that the SkullTag site and resources doesn't disappear forever (Good evidence: Can anyone download any sane and useful information from the SkullTag forums?).
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

All of the major projects have been ported over to work with ZDoom 2.4.1, and later on I'll upload all of the changes and resources to the web site.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Finished with the tasks listed on this topic.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier

Return to “TGRDM3”