TGRDM3 Beta Builds

Forums for TGRDM3 [Home Not Yet Defined][/note]

Moderator: TGRDM3 Team

Tiger
Developer
Developer

TGRDM3 Beta Builds

Post by Tiger »

Well, here it is - - a beta build of TGRDM3. Expect bugs and maps that might still need some work, but feel free to share your input or harshly criticize. I can not make something better - when all I have is silence and no voices.

Glory 2010
  • Date Compiled or Unofficially Released
  • Comments
    • This is a very old compiled beta build of TGRDM3. The development, resources, and contents have changed over the years. But feel free to share your input.
  • Download
Last edited by Tiger on Fri May 02, 2014 21:38, edited 4 times in total.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
NeoHippo

Re: TGRDM3 Beta Builds

Post by NeoHippo »

Personally I am not a fan of deathmatch maps, but I like to investigate maps of all kinds.
Somehow the MAPINFO lump does not reflect the OpenGL settings, so that the very first
message was 'Could not find map TGRDM0010'.

The thing about these maps that struck me right off was the scale of them, especially when
played with the 'Always Run' setting set to 'OFF'. I scaled the dimensions down to 50%.

The text file does not mention what source port these maps are made for. When played
with GZDoom, I get a few missing thing sprites.
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

NeoHippo wrote:Somehow the MAPINFO lump does not reflect the OpenGL settings
I haven't really looked over that in a very long time, but as far as I can remember - the MAPINFO lump was only intended for assuring that the 'map' actually exists on a multiplayer environment, and to make sure that the sky's and STBAR render correctly. When testing the maps without the MAPINFO lump (using SkullTag), skies would never be rendered and STBAR or the status bar would have a black background. Again, if I remember correctly.
NeoHippo wrote:so that the very first message was 'Could not find map TGRDM0010'.
And error prune when I don't point to the right maps :(
NeoHippo wrote:The thing about these maps that struck me right off was the scale of them, especially when
played with the 'Always Run' setting set to 'OFF'. I scaled the dimensions down to 50%.
Which maps did you particularly thought that the scale was way to big?
NeoHippo wrote:The text file does not mention what source port these maps are made for. When played
with GZDoom, I get a few missing thing sprites.
Yes, sorry about that. That compiled build uses SkullTag's THING's, so in essence - SkullTag 97[d|e]. It was only recently that I switched over the project to GZDoom.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
NeoHippo

Post by NeoHippo »

To my sensibilities these values seem about right:

TGRDM000 scaled down to 75%
TGRDM020 scaled down to 60%
TGRDM200 scaled down to 65%
TGRDM211 scaled down to 70%
TGRDM212 scaled down to 60%
TGRDM213 scaled down to 70%
TGRDM220 scaled down to 75%
TGRDM225 scaled down to 75%

Of course, after the scaling process, texture alignments, sector heights in doorways, etc need to be adjusted.
The maps seem to be a bit sparse. It also seems that there are too many slopes.

Overall I do like the map layouts.
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

NeoHippo wrote:To my sensibilities these values seem about right:
For some of the maps, I do agree that there is some that are ridiculous large (and poorly made). However, DM maps - in my honest opinion - should offer space to move and roam around freely. For example, Greenwar map20 offers alot of available space to move around. But, I personally take that said map and as a duel size between two players, anymore players will dwindle the freespace that is available. As a result, it is not challenging and it will be just a mindless spread\splash damage fragging game. For example, one BFG900 and 16 players generally within a wide space area, most will not like a race to the BFG game (unless one plays ZDaemon and use nothing but the BFG900). For some virtual worlds I do agree with you that they are rather - large, but I also have to pay attention on roaming space as well.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Fixed the download link.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
NeoHippo

Post by NeoHippo »

Even though the title says TGRDM3 Beta Builds, the file is TGRDM3_Alpha-GLORY.wad.
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

NeoHippo wrote:Even though the title says TGRDM3 Beta Builds, the file is TGRDM3_Alpha-GLORY.wad.
Yeah, not exactly sure where to go with that ancient build. Years ago this version was considered an 'alpha' build, but the very maps you see no longer exists in the stock set anymore - they are rejected now. But as for the filename, I am not sure how or if I want to correct that.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier

Return to “TGRDM3”