Development (or offtopic) Blog

Forums for TGRDM3 [Home Not Yet Defined][/note]

Moderator: TGRDM3 Team

Tiger
Developer
Developer

Development (or offtopic) Blog

Post by Tiger »

Lately this project has been - dead for about a year (maybe more?). I have been severely busy with administrating several gameserver clusters in Zandronum [Armada Cluster], Managing the Zandronum Wiki, Batch programs [Bootless Star and several modules], School, and 'In Real Life' issues. Even though I have already stepped down from my duties with Zandronum related positions\tasks, I am still struggling. Lately 'IRL' issues have been getting rather intense that I could not properly focus and led me to having to drop from a semester. I am still battling to get two more Batch shell programs finished and dealing with IRL things going on. Once I am ready and clear minded, I'll get this project going again -- I miss working on this beast of an overly ambitious project.

Once I get back to work on this project, I am going to make a few changes:
  • Close the Twitter account. It's not needed as people want the results, - not the details or activity rates.
  • Remove superfluous topics in this section of the forum. I think this Blog topic will cure most of the - unnecessary topics that I have created?
  • Plan on the project work with other PWAD's, if compatible.
    • Why make a static environment when some other PWAD is better and is more up to date?
  • Fix the dead-end download links that linked DRDTeam's Fileshare service.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Re: Development (or offtopic) Blog

Post by Tiger »

A few hours ago, I have deactivated the twitter account that was used for displaying the revision activity. At the time, I thought this will help demonstrate that this project is still going and display what is being done, but - not everyone nor the majority is in favor of this idea. Thus, there is no real need to keep that up to date with the latest revision and fight against some of it's character-limitations.
Additionally, I have flushed some of the - - superfluous topics from this section of the forum.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

A few moments ago, I have re-uploaded the modified maps that were once available on DRDTeam's FileShare service, as the service is still unavailable today. As such, the listed maps are once again are downloadable:
  • Dark Stone
  • Artis
  • Adios
  • Abandoned Misery
  • Acerbus
  • NoirLust
Furthermore, after opening GZDoom Builder for the first time in over a year(ugh), I have came to realize that not only do I have to get used to GZDoom Builder's changes and improvements, but I really missed this project. I fell in love with the maps after looking back at them, but I also remember how this was surely not an easy task to either create new designed maps or to revamp the rejected maps -- but its end-results were always beautiful if done 'right'. Moreover, after slightly abandoning this project due to various reason, I can safely say that now since I am finished with Batch programming, finished with anything remotely to deal with Zandronum (and their dreadful community as a whole), I can now safely say that I will get back to work on this overly ambitious project of mine -- my world where I am happy and a world that I miss.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

I think I have finally finished drafting a better map revision of 'Unfaithfull'; the new revision is now in step 2 out of 4 steps, I am hoping to get it in the map editor next week (or this week if I keep my optimism going).

Additionally, I soon going to remove all of the pictures from the new revised maps. The older (or original) pictures uphold little relation to the new revisions, no use trying to use them anymore.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

The new revised map 'Unfaithful' is now at the final step [4/4]; import the final draft to the level editor.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

After creating this topic: "NOTE: Maps are 'Bare-Metal'" and calculated how many maps I'll need for the project:
Tiger wrote:Maps Approx. Limit: 84
I then realized - something is horribly wrong. After checking "Map Addressing Scheme" and recalculated how many maps are needed for the project:
  • Deathmatch:
    • Duel: 10 Maps
      Small: 10 Maps
      Average: 10 Maps
      Big: 10 Maps
      Giant: 2 Maps
    Team Game
    • Duel: 10 Maps
      Small: 10 Maps
      Average: 10 Maps
      Big: 10 Maps
      Giant: 2 Maps
The result is 84. I love this project, I love being ambitious, and I have been with this project since 2007, but I don't think I can push for such a high number.....

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

• Deathmatch:
    • Duel: 5 Maps
      Small: 4 Maps
      Average: 3 Maps
      Big: 2 Maps
      Giant: 1 Map
    Team Game
Total 30 maps. More reasonable.
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Gez wrote:
  • Deathmatch:
    Team Game
Total 30 maps. More reasonable.

On paper that might work just fine. But, however, playing a project on a game server, I would expect that the WAD will have plenty of maps for the users to enjoy. Playing the exact same maps repeatedly gets boring real quick, so there needs to be more in quantity. Don't get me wrong, I understand what you are referring too, but I don't honestly see it working well in real games.

I sat down (and walked around the room) and thought about what I want and what I want for this project, and I think I might go back to the basics again with the entire map addressing scheme. No more scales - which may not even work so well, and dump the Team Games. I think the main focus on the map size will be average sized, with this in mind - it'll keep games from becoming boring and will (atleast I would think) easily start-up games with reasonably sized maps.

Would you think this is a better idea?
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

I decided to thrash all of the rejected maps; they're not coming back.

Additionally, I think I found a perfect middle-ground which allows my claws to dig into Team based game modes and I can keep how the maps are organized within the project. The expected minimum will be 40 playable maps instead of ~84 playable maps, which is a huge improvement. Does anyone agree with proposal?
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

I am currently drafting a new map, Insomnium [Bad Dream; Latin]. There's still some unfinished paths and I have yet to work on the several layers of the map which contains 3D Objects -- hence, it is very much in the drafting stage ;)
  • Deathmatch Stock
  • Regular
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Despite hitting an issue with the Nodes Builder, I was able to get the map Insomnium into the SVN project. I still need to add height variations and 3D Objects, which I plan on doing tomorrow. I might have the map ready tomorrow or very soon.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

I have - just a few moments ago - changed my site name which altered the subdomain. I am going to expeditiously work on overhauling my site around and get everything back up as soon as I can, but until then, please excuse the minor downtime for the downloads with my resources and projects....
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

All of the links should now be updated and active.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

After looking at ZDoom's supported Game Modes, there might be a chance that I am not going to support Team Game maps (CTF based rules). I can not guarantee that current and even future branches\forks of ZDoom source ports will support the exact same game settings (or standards) from various other ports. I will be completely fine with fan made dependencies for individual source ports, however.

Spoiler: My reaction in #Armada
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

I am going to omit any plans with including the team game maps for the time being. I might change my mind later, we'll see....
I will not alter the map addressing scheme for right now, as I might change my mind later on.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier

Return to “TGRDM3”