Development (or offtopic) Blog

Forums for TGRDM3 [Home Not Yet Defined][/note]

Moderator: TGRDM3 Team

Tiger
Developer
Developer

Re: Development (or offtopic) Blog

Post by Tiger »

Abandoned Misery Preview 2 is now available (revision 1033) for everyone to try and share feedback.

I think it is time for me to start working on the outside areas now....

IMAGES ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE!
Last edited by Tiger on Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:09, edited 1 time in total.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Started working on - Dynamic Lighting!

IMAGES ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE!
Last edited by Tiger on Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:10, edited 1 time in total.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

A few moments ago, I just gave GZDoom 2.0.01 (Beta build) a try on the Abandoned Misery map. The map now contains an abundance of Dynamic Lights that literally puts GZDoom 1.8.6 to its knees, but after testing GZDoom 2.0.01 - the map runs nearly smooth!

Just noting that there is a lot of 'under the hood' improvements in the OpenGL renderer engine on GZDoom 2.0.01 Beta build :D
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

I have recently uploaded Abandoned Misery revision 1047; this revision merely contains lighting and a few other minor changes. I have tested this map with GZDoom 2.0.01 beta build and immediately noticed how generally smooth the map plays - even with the dynamic lighting and expensive features that ultimately put GZDoom 1.8.6 and previous version to its knees. I hope others enjoy the changes thus far! As always, share feedback and feel free to test drive this map.

View Pictures Here
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Currently, I am trying to expeditiously get the TGRDM3 Compiler to actually put the project together. I will soon enough be able to start doing live testing's and start working within the inner-core, as well as start putting out beta builds of the project.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

I have finally got TGRDM3 compiled successfully with the TGRDM3 Compiler. Sadly, there is some bugs that lay in both the compiler and present DECORATE code for the weapons. Still going to take additional time to get everything fixed, but the progress is still moving forward....
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Ever wondered how much development activity TGRDM3 gets within its SVN Repo?
TGRDM3 SVN Activity.png
Perhaps I should slow it down now ;)
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Perhaps I'll make a stand-alone topic about the inner-core, but - here's a modified version of TGRDM3's inner-core. When testing this file, it is best to only use regular Doom DM wads. Examples: Greenwar, Dwango5, GothicDM, and the like.
TGRDM3_Core.7z
What's in it (broad):
  • Weapons have been changed to be a bit more competitive. However, the BFG is NOT included yet. I have yet to figure out how the BFG is going to work, Tracers are simply not really fair in a large DM game.
  • Minor MAPINFO alterations
Weapon changes:
  • When spawning, the player is immediately given: Chainsaw && Chaingun
  • Shotgun now fires shells at an X AND Y axis, not just x the axis. Also, tighter x and y range.
  • SuperShotgun has a slightly tighter x and y range, and - the SSG will no longer have the reload animation.
  • Rockets are faster
  • PlasmaBalls are faster
  • BFG is not available yet.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

I have officially killed off support with TGRDM1 and TGRDM2. I originally wanted to include them into the project, but I after stressing myself out (literally) with fighting with compatibility that created more bugs and bloated the project even more than intended, I just can't continue with it anymore. (Fun fact: Did you know that there is some actors have dramatically changed from SkullTag 96f and SkullTag 97b? Some actors that were just for map decorations have been changed for Player starts...)
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

I will try to add weapons to the map 'Abandoned Misery' and release a testing build. With doing this, this will allow users to actually play the maps in GZDoom without having to resort to cheat codes (though, SV_InfiniteAmmo will need to be enabled).
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Here is a testing build that contains the entire TGRDM3 build as-is. The only maps that are playable is only 'map04' (Abandoned Misery). With this build, Abandoned Misery now contains weapon placements, which now users are now able to play the map. Feel free to play around and send feedback. I am going to try to stay away from this project for now before I ultimately drop this project.

Have fun

Download
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

This project is currently locked; no more revisions will be submitted at this time. More news later or in the later months.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

TGRDM3 project has been canceled for the GZDoom base port.
(Also includes: ZDoom, Zandronum [2.5.0])

Before I start, I want to make it clear, TGRDM3 project in itself is _NOT_ dead but instead moving on to another engine. For several months now, I have been looking at the Unity Engine and pondering some ideas of what games I want to make - commercially with my friend. My friend and I have been thinking about game genres that are both fun and new, but we both have no experience with Unity Engine other than what we have read about. With carrying the TGRDM3 project over to the Unity Engine, I will not only start gaining experience with newer advanced tools, but I get to broaden my projects horizon. Also, what is truly remarkable, is the timing - feels right. With Microsoft moving to support the Unity engine in the later Visual Studio versions, my new Computer Science professor wanting to teach Game Development courses, and my desire to move on to better and bigger things, the timing just feels right to make a move.

Abridged:
TGRDM3 will be canceled for the GZDoom engine, but rebuilt from the ground up with the Unity Engine.

Effective:
Within the coming months

Will TGRDM3 will still be called 'TGRDM3'?
No. If you try to use Steam's search for 'TGRDM3', you may not find it (unless I leave remarks about the history?).
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

I might bring this project back with 2.5 maps instead of full on 3D objects; but this wont be considered for awhile. It seems I might be able to work as a game dev. in my university, so my focus will be on this and a bit on my new project (which the maps here are going to be part of).

In addition, I had to pull all of the builds and maps downloads. Sorry.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

I received some input from Edward850 in regards to the images, I'll re-evaluate how the images and revisions newsflashes should be better organized. I am strongly contemplating on bringing back TGRDM3 to GZDoom with some changes on how newsflashes and images are managed.

Though do keep in mind, I still plan on using these very map designs for my other project aswell.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier

Return to “TGRDM3”