Welcome to the New Forum

Moderators: Xaser, Dr_Nostromo

Dr_Nostromo
Developer
Developer

Re: Welcome to the New Forum

Post by Dr_Nostromo »

First off, the distribution of the files is under the same royalty free terms as any of the other files.

Just before Hacx was released, John Herdon changed the texture names in the Iwad. I don't remember why. Anyway, it messed up some of the textures. One of the biggest examples of this is the air conditioning system on the roof of the building that you get to by riding the freight elevator in my Map 12. They're pretty messed up and no longer look like air conditioning units.

I believe these texture bugs were fixed in the downloadable version (v1.1) we released later ...but this is all ancient history and my memory on the actual series of events may be sketchy. I seem to recall that v1.1 created a new set of problems as well.

Anyway, let me know what files you need and I'll set them up. You want me to zip up the entire disc and send you a link?
If your heart is in the right place, then it's just to the left of center.

Doc
Dr Nostromo's Place
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

Dr_Nostromo wrote:First off, the distribution of the files is under the same royalty free terms as any of the other files.
All right.
Dr_Nostromo wrote:You want me to zip up the entire disc and send you a link?
Probably the best thing to do is to build an iso image from the CD. A quick search results in imgburn as a example of software that can do this. All though I guess with that you need to beware of the optional adware in the installer. (I'm a Linux user which has the ability to do this built into the standard tools, so I don't have any real recommendation here.)

You can also get an md5sum program for Windows and compare with the hashes I posted to see if they match what's on the CD. But if it's easiest for you to just zip the CD then that all right too. :P
Dr_Nostromo
Developer
Developer

Post by Dr_Nostromo »

Sorry. I've been busy this past week and haven't had a chance to do this. I'll make a note to do it in the morning.

Nero will make an ISO for me so that's no problem.

Doc
Dr Nostromo's Place
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

Thanks again for the ISO. Xaser and I are examining the release and apparently there are a ton of differences in the levels themselves (as in they seem more complete). This should prove interesting since it looks like the 1.1 release went too far back in time. A 1.3 might be on the way. :P
Xaser
Developer
Developer

Post by Xaser »

Several maps in particular indeed have more developed segueways -- War Rooms, for instance, now ends in a Terminal room instead of just randomly at a door, and two entire maps ('Trode Wars and Twilight of ENK's) got swapped completely, with one (Wars) gaining a better-detailed exit room and a legit secret exit. Interesting for sure. ;)

Thanks for sharing, Doc! This is fascinating stuff. :)
Dr_Nostromo
Developer
Developer

Post by Dr_Nostromo »

I didn't know there was that much difference. I just remember that the textures got all messed up in my map 12 ...the top floor of the one building that you use the freight elevator to get to is supposed to show a large bank of air conditioning units. I remember when I saw it from the disk, it was just a bunch of texture stripes.

Doc
Dr Nostromo's Place
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

Oddly enough, the textures look fine there in 1.0. Granted it could have something to do with me loading it with hacx 1.2 as the iwad, but the AC units look the same. In fact, looking at the iwad there's no obvious texture renaming in that version.
cybdmn

Post by cybdmn »

Interesting stuff, i never had a deeper look at the version on the disc, probably because i bought it years after playing Hacx.

Return to “General Chat”