MAP27: 'Trode Wars (read: Chode Wars)

Moderators: Xaser, Dr_Nostromo

darkhaven3

MAP27: 'Trode Wars (read: Chode Wars)

Post by darkhaven3 »

MAP NAME: 'Trode Wars (pronounced "Chode Wars")
SLOT: MAP27
WHAT I'M GONNA DO: pure cyberspace, retain 100% of the original's layout because it was one of the few cyberspace maps that I thought were really good.

SCREENSHOTS:
Spoiler: start room
Spoiler: some hallway
Spoiler: a place where you jump and stuff
Spoiler: a weird room
Spoiler: a cool room
like half done, will update whenever
Xaser
Developer
Developer

Re: MAP27: 'Trode Wars (read: Chode Wars)

Post by Xaser »

oh god darkhaven what are you doing

whatever it is, keep doing it :P
Dr_Nostromo
Developer
Developer

Post by Dr_Nostromo »

That looks awesome!
If your heart is in the right place, then it's just to the left of center.

Doc
Dr Nostromo's Place
Cage

Post by Cage »

Looks lovely!

There's no bigger appreciation for my texturing than using it in your maps, and using it well! Great job!

No crits/ideas though, I do like the idea of a green/bluee theme, might as well do the other c-space levels more or less themed (However I'm thinking that maybe some dangerous/trap rooms could be red - red rooms in the Cube movie were sure foreboding)

Oh and write down any ideas for switches/interface (interactable) textures you might have - I'm sure there should be a lot more that currently.
Dr_Nostromo
Developer
Developer

Post by Dr_Nostromo »

Don't know the limitations of the new engines but I always thought something resembling animated data flows and random electrical arcs would enhance cyber levels. If that possible?
If your heart is in the right place, then it's just to the left of center.

Doc
Dr Nostromo's Place
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

Easily. There are many things that can be done.

Of course they're for ZDoom, so they'd need to be ported to Eternity for the double-compatibility desired by the team, but there's nothing impossible.

The system used for the animated UAC logo would be a simple and powerful way to have Matrix-style data flows crawling on walls. (But that one would stay ZDoom exclusive as Eternity doesn't have a decal system IIRC.)
darkhaven3

Post by darkhaven3 »

For now, anywhere you see the binary numbers, all of them animate and most of them scroll in some kind of meaningful way (like in the "weird room" screenshots, there are recesses near the Control Node switches with green binary textures that scroll up towards the ceiling, which have more of the same binary stuff). But Nostromo did get me thinking and I've got a few ideas to revisit other complete areas with later...
Cage wrote:No crits/ideas though, I do like the idea of a green/bluee theme, might as well do the other c-space levels more or less themed (However I'm thinking that maybe some dangerous/trap rooms could be red - red rooms in the Cube movie were sure foreboding)
This is definitely an idea I plan to take a good long look at before I call the map complete. I'm not completely sure how I'd go about it exactly with what I have right now, but I'll definitely do something along these lines.
Oh and write down any ideas for switches/interface (interactable) textures you might have - I'm sure there should be a lot more that currently.
Done. :) I was talking with Grymmoire about it recently and we got some ideas flowing for cyberspace. Maybe I'll put up a thread about it once I have more concrete text on the subject? Though, there are two things that I feel should be addressed:

* I had no idea the "Data Strea" 64x128 textures were switches. o_O
* I thought for sure the Control Node and Command Control Node textures would be switches, but they aren't...?
Xaser
Developer
Developer

Post by Xaser »

I'll note these issues down as well. I do suppose the "doors" (since that's what the data stream textures are meant to be) are a bit ambiguous in their switch-factor. I'll be sure to introduce them early in MAP05, then, so the players will get a clear grasp on what does what.
Cage

Post by Cage »

Data stream textures were just supposed to be wall textures but guess they work well both as doors and switches :)

File cabinets and "file" panel work as switches too.

Node textures are supposed to be switches - I've forgot to define them in ANIMDEFS before uploading to SVN. :oops:
Xaser
Developer
Developer

Post by Xaser »

Whoops -- I passed over those, too. Just added them (and the new textures ;P ) to the wad, and I'll probably upload a new version soon since I just made a sanity-pass through my own MAP16.
darkhaven3

Post by darkhaven3 »

http://i.imgur.com/TcoNs.png

PROGRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the new starting room for Trode Wars. Going to throw on a layer of tasteful lighting, possibly break up the horizontal beams a little teensy bit, then this room is golden IMO

Return to “Hacx Development”