Moderators: Xaser, Dr_Nostromo

Enjay
Developer
Developer

Re: Cage's sprites

Post by Enjay »

Quoating cos new page:
Cage wrote:Image

Any thoughts? I've actually barely started to learn how to animate, to be honest :|
I think the lower parts look fine - nice and robotic - but I agree that the upper is moving a bit too much and a bit too non-robotically. It's definitely doing a bit of a booby-shake (one frame in particular the "boobies" almost seem to sway to the (robot's) left independently of the rest of the torso).
Mike12

Post by Mike12 »

Gez wrote:... but it's swinging its metal pectorals like it was trying to see if its milkshake can bring all the boys to the yard.
:lol:
Cage wrote:Any thoughts? I've actually barely started to learn how to animate, to be honest :|
Looks really good to me, though as others said, the animation looks a bit too relaxed and human-like on the upper half of the body (perhaps due to the arm posture and the way the chestplates move). I'd definitely keep that upper-body movement in mind if you end up re-doing that female enemy (I think it was an android disguised as a woman or something, but I forget), but for this one I'd mess around with some stiffer posture on the upper body and perhaps bending the arms out a bit more for some more imposing arm movement.

As for the 'boobie-shake', the chestplate is definitely going to move a bit in correspondence with the rest of the upper-torso, but it would probably help to make it a bit more subtle (or just mess around with the movement a bit and see what looks best.)
Cage

Post by Cage »

Are the leg positions okay?
Mike12

Post by Mike12 »

Cage wrote:Are the leg positions okay?
Indeed, looking good! It's very soldier/march-like, befitting of a robotic killing machine. Upper body movement looks a lot better as well.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Yes, the animation has a good "inexorable march" look to it befitting of a robot.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

As I mentioned on IRC, I think the shoulders should span wider in the front view: Both to match that of the 3/4 view, and to alleviate some of the uncanny look of the reduced torso movement. (The shoulders seem to tilt too much now.)
Dean Koontz wrote:Human beings can always be relied upon to exert, with vigor, their God-given right to be stupid.
Spoiler: System Specs
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

I don't know if this is helpful or not.
That might serve as a reference - but the Hacx robot should be able to walk less hesitantly so maybe it isn't a great reference. Like I said though, I like the leg animation how you have it ATM. NeuralStunner's shoulder changes may improve that part but I thought that the upper body had already improved since the first example. They all look better than the Hacx original. ;)
Cage

Post by Cage »

Ok, walking frames are done (took me long enough!) - there's some bits which are rough around the edges but I'll get to that, I just wanted the get those frames out of the way.
Cage

Post by Cage »

I guess the full set is done, there's some cleanups to do, but I'm sick of looking at this guy, at the moment :)
Cage

Post by Cage »

I've felt like jumping in and experimenting, but I'm not sure if I like where it's going, need to hear your opinion. I should do some sketches of the guy first.
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

It looks like the legs are mounted backwards. Was it like this in the original? Shape-wise, the grey version looks more intimidating than the red -- broader shoulders, bulkier armor, and more visible cybernetics in the arms.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

The legs have always been a bit weird on this enemy. I really like the new torso but does it look a bit big versus the legs? I too think the grey one is better.
Xaser
Developer
Developer

Post by Xaser »

Oh hey! Glad to see you've started up on this a bit. This is cool stuff thus far. :D

I do agree that I like the bulkiness and broad shoulders of the left version, but the fleshy red bits on the right side are too cool to ignore entirely. I'd probably suggest going with the left design but use the right version's bloody neckline, and perhaps have some more redness in the connection between the central torso and the manflesh arms. A good balance between shiny tech and horrible biological science would be most excellent.

Also, if you're wondering, the reason I've been offline for a while is that I've moved to a new apartment and don't have internet set up yet (that'll come next weekend). Just popping online from some guest 'net for a bit.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Agreed with Xaser, and personally I have preference for the darker metal look.
Dean Koontz wrote:Human beings can always be relied upon to exert, with vigor, their God-given right to be stupid.
Spoiler: System Specs

Return to “Hacx Development”