The music thread

Moderators: Xaser, Dr_Nostromo

Jimmy
Stronghold Team

The music thread

Post by Jimmy »

This is a thread about music.

I've been asked by Xaser to do a few tracks for the project. :) Here's what I'm working on:
  • A brand-new track for MAP08, fitting the "Chinese Palace" theme (in-progress)
  • A fast-paced mid-boss track for MAP20, with an ominous start and a slow build up to something epic and hectic
  • A D_HAXINT "remix" for the final boss
  • An expanded MAP09 track, using the original as a base for something a bit grander
Should have that first one done very soon. :D
Jimmy
Stronghold Team

Re: The music thread

Post by Jimmy »

And the replacement for the Garden of Delights track is done.

Forgotten Eden (8:14)

This is my first eight-minuter, by the way. I usually don't go this crazy with the progressiveness of my music. :P

Any thoughts? Yes? No? Maybe? Yesnaby? :mrgreen:
Cage

Post by Cage »

I like it very much and I think it fits the project very well.

As a guitar player/freak myself I especially like the down-tuned guitars :happy:

Can't wait for more
Xaser
Developer
Developer

Post by Xaser »

YESNABY

*ahem*

Figure I'll repeat what I said on IRC: This song is megagreat and perfectly fitting to Hacx in both atmosphere, style, and progressive-ness. I'd seriously not have been the wiser had Jim Lynch himself (the original main Hacx music guy) said he wrote it. ;P

Thumbs-up for sure, and this is definitely going in the wad.
Jimmy
Stronghold Team

Post by Jimmy »

Thanks, guys! :wink:

Here's a little WIP for the MAP20 midboss. Has a small buildup before a downright evil 7/4 guitar-a-thon slightly similar to "Cataclysmic Impact".

Virtual Vice [WIP] (3:02)

Thoughts so far? :) Xaser, how far would you like me to extend this track?
Last edited by Jimmy on Sun Aug 05, 2012 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
Xaser
Developer
Developer

Post by Xaser »

I like this so far! 7/4 forever! :D

I actually think it could benefit from a bit more intro, actually. If this was for just the boss fight, it'd be perfect, actually, the way it starts off loud and booming, but a bit of buildup can't hurt since the approach to the arena I have in mind involves structures lighting up from pitch-darkness... curses! I'm coming up with more map ideas already! :P

And as for length? It's not going to be a particularly large map so it doesn't need to be epic-length, so go with what works best for you. Work on it until it feels done. ;)
Jimmy
Stronghold Team

Post by Jimmy »

Okey dokey, I've now extended the track to 3:02 (but minus the intro it's 2:13 - the track will eventually loop in-game without playing the intro each time). Same link as above. :)

I've extended the intro to sound a lot more ominous to begin with, and having it build up gradually to the intro chords before the guitar riff comes in. The track itself now has smatterings of orchestral in it, with a melodic harp and a timpani serving as a counterpoint to the fast riffs that the synths and guitars are laying down. There's also a short and slightly spooky new interlude which uses the chords from the opening of D_DOOM to bring the action to a sudden stop.

I get the feeling I can still do more to this track on the whole. Any thoughts towards its completion would be appreciated. :)
Jimmy
Stronghold Team

Post by Jimmy »

This track is pretty much finalized now. Should loop in-game. :)

Virtual Vice (3:07)
Dr_Nostromo
Developer
Developer

Post by Dr_Nostromo »

This is a very cool tune!
If your heart is in the right place, then it's just to the left of center.

Doc
Dr Nostromo's Place
Jimmy
Stronghold Team

Post by Jimmy »

Cheers, Doc. :angel:

EDIT: Ack, just discovered that there was something wrong with that one. Please redownload. Thorry. :(

Return to “Hacx Development”