MAP21: Cryozine

Moderators: Xaser, Dr_Nostromo

.+:icytux:+.
Stronghold Team

MAP21: Cryozine

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

Hey again guys!

Just wanted to give you guys an update that I'm back. I havn't got much progress to show at all as i'm sort of experimenting with the new textures atm. Heres a shot of a WIP area though, its really bland still but just laying out some basic architecture.
Xaser
Developer
Developer

Re: MAP21: Cryozine

Post by Xaser »

Oh hey, I like that architecture! Good to see you're back, too. :)

If I were to imagine the level in my head, something with lots of stainless steel and silver seems appropriate -- perhaps give the new METCLN texture some use alongside lots o' blue hues and such. Whatever it is you're scheming, though, go wild with it. ;P
cybdmn

Post by cybdmn »

Bland? No, it isn't really. Looks amazing so far.
Nice to see you back here, as i asked myself yesterday, what's the state of your map.

With all the fresh textures, i have the feeling, that this project get fresh air.
Cage

Post by Cage »

Looks very cool! One thing I think would be fitting woulde be some banners with the logo for this room - pretty much like the DigiOta ones, except tall (256 px)

You'd probably like some more lab-y textures, like clean tile walls etc.?
Stronghold Team

Hmm, Yeah I suppose I could try a more lab-like approach too, but its weird, i've always imagined Cryogenic stuff to be done in really dirty and heavy looking steel facilities. And if you google cryolabs and stuff, all that pops up is really dark labs, an example:
Spoiler:
What I could do is have an area look really clean and happy showing off the "good part" of the lab near the entrance and stuff, and then later on have a little darker and dirtier area show off some of the dirty business that was going on in Cryozine.

Oh and about the textures, what I really need obviously is cryotubes, something that looks like it can hold a creature. with cyan glass so it looks like its frozen, some that one can place as a translucent midtexture, but also some that are so frozen that they arn't see-through. go creative. Heres sort of what i mean:
Spoiler:
Xaser
Developer
Developer

Post by Xaser »

Cage wrote:Looks very cool! One thing I think would be fitting woulde be some banners with the logo for this room - pretty much like the DigiOta ones, except tall (256 px)
I'm not sure if banners would really fit given the setting, though. It worked for Digi-Ota, but here it seems like it'd be more appropriate to stamp the logo on huge sheets of metal and hang those up somewhere. Though the animated logo screen is a very nice touch that fits well, IMO -- maybe a larger one of those?
Dr_Nostromo
Developer
Developer

Post by Dr_Nostromo »

I've been following along in the conversation on all this new stuff and I am duly impressed. Looking awesome!

Let me know when you've got the full game done and you're heading into play testing mode. I'd be glad to help. That was my forte with the ADA (STRAIN) and at Banjo ...coming up with ideas and suggestions for making fantastic maps ever better.
If your heart is in the right place, then it's just to the left of center.

Doc
Dr Nostromo's Place
Xaser
Developer
Developer

Post by Xaser »

Icy: you should link the shot you showed off on IRC yesterday. It's even better. :)

I should maybe start updating the IWAD more often. Cage just added some METDUST variants that'd work really well here, I think. I feel as if you could put 'em to good use. ;)
Cage

Post by Cage »

Xaser wrote:I should maybe start updating the IWAD more often. Cage just added some METDUST variants that'd work really well here, I think. I feel as if you could put 'em to good use. ;)
I've made those variants with CryoZine in mind. I'm planning also some metal and concrete, including ones with stenciled CZ logo (already got some nice industrial conc in progress) plus I'll do a tile-texture set too, might be useful for labs/subway, but still gritty and not too clean ;) - think of something in the vain of CHICIT10.

Xaser: your call. I just keep updating as I'm done with things - mostly so you can see the new stuff as soon as possible, so you'll know what you get to work with plus I can get your opinion, any changes you'd like and any request, if you still need something, as soon as possible. Plus, updating the IWAD every time I post two new textures would be overkill! ;)
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

I like the idea of the "public areas" being bright, cheery and spotless, while the back areas are a gritty industrial terror that'd give OSHA inspectors a nervous tic.
Dean Koontz wrote:Human beings can always be relied upon to exert, with vigor, their God-given right to be stupid.
Spoiler: System Specs
Stronghold Team

Heres that shot I showed off in IRC for those who missed it :P
Back on my other computer now, can merge my old progress with the new one, can retexture the stuff i did back then too. I'll show off more soon.

Return to “Hacx Development”