ZDL 3 Bugs

Stuff you want Bio to see. [Home]

Moderator: BioHazard

Hobbs

ZDL 3 Bugs

Post by Hobbs »

Hoo I got bored. I could have told you this on IRC easier (er, maybe) but a few other people might be interested in this. ZDL 3 is an almost perfect launcher. However I've noticed it has some bugs (a few might be port related), and felt like pointing them out.

Bugs:
  • I like lists too :P (k so its not a bug, but still).
  • Sometimes ZDL either cant fetch the wad location properly, or uses a relative path. This is definetly a ZDL bug and not a port bug. Ex. I have had Green War (greenwar.wad) on the wad list, and when launched PrBoom (2.2.6) couldnt find it (so it crashed). I moved Green War to the PrBoom directory, changed nothing in ZDL, and relaunched, and it still could not find the wad. Finally, I moved Green War to the ZDL directory, changed nothing again, launched and PrBoom could find the wad.
  • ZDL and Chocolate Doom just plain dont get along. The end result is Chocolate Doom creates config files in every ZDL takes a wad from, and ZDLs directory, and you really dont know which set of config files (or if it will overwrite the existing ones) ChocoDoom will use when you run it. This is just as probable to be a Chocolate Doom bug as a ZDL bug, and I realize ZDL wasnt built for non ZDoom engine games, so its not a really big thing.
  • ZDL should not be launched when the port creates a .cfg or .ini file. It has really strange effects (ZDoom will sometimes load the wrong zdoom.wad file and PrBoom (2.2.6) becomes plauged by 'I_GetSignal: Exit on Signal: Signal 11'* errors). This, again, could be a port error.
  • Not really a bug, and something you already know, but the 'Exit on launch' feature is missing. I think its even mentioned in your changelog so...
  • Nitpick I know, but I have to ask, is there any purpose to the up/down buttons for the PWAD box other than novelty and organization? One example would justify it for me, but I cant for the life of me find that.
*: I tried to get the error name precise, but I wouldnt bet anything substantial on it being correct. What it means is something is taking too much attention or whatnot from PrBoom (in this case I'm pretty sure its ZDL), and it crashes.
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

Moving the wads up and down in the PWAD box changes the order they're loaded in, which is critical when loading monster/weapon/texture replacement packs on top of megawads and other things. Say you're playing a megawad that has several weapon graphics replaced, and you also want to play a DeHackEd-based weapon mod with it - the weapon mod will still function, but the graphics will be replaced with those of the megawad's if the megawad is loaded after the weapon mod.
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

Heh, all of those have been dealt with.
  1. Lists rock!
  2. I fixed this for 3.1, the current directory gets changed to the port dir on launch.
  3. It's not supposed to, ZDL is for ZDoom variants. Otherwise it would be SDL.
  4. What? I'm not sure what you mean. The zdoom.wad problem is caused by the working directoy bug and I don't even know what PRBoom is.
  5. Re-Added for 3.1
  6. WildWeasel already answered this for me.
I'm also thinking about doing what somebody suggested and moving "always add" to a per-port basis as well as global option.

I can't tell you when 3.1 will be out because I'm working on a few other things but I expect it to come out before I die. How bout' that? ;)
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Any chance you could put the exit and launch buttons back to their original positions? I still keep clicking the ZDL 1.5 position and getting pretty much the opposite effect to what I want. It also makes sense for the exit button to be on the right - because that puts it below the normal windows top-right exit thingy. And OK, Yes, Launch etc buttons are usually on the left too.
Hobbs

Post by Hobbs »

BioHazard wrote:Heh, all of those have been dealt with.
  1. Lists rock!
  2. I fixed this for 3.1, the current directory gets changed to the port dir on launch.
  3. It's not supposed to, ZDL is for ZDoom variants. Otherwise it would be SDL.
  4. What? I'm not sure what you mean. The zdoom.wad problem is caused by the working directoy bug and I don't even know what PRBoom is.
  5. Re-Added for 3.1
  6. WildWeasel already answered this for me.
I'm also thinking about doing what somebody suggested and moving "always add" to a per-port basis as well as global option.

I can't tell you when 3.1 will be out because I'm working on a few other things but I expect it to come out before I die. How bout' that? ;)
  1. Heh.
  2. Most important thing, glad its fixed. Its really annoying when that happens.
  3. Thats fine. Not a big deal really.
  4. I thought randy fixed the zdoom.wad thing, and it does happen with 2.0.98. As for PrBoom, uh, This is PrBoom.
  5. Woohoo. I love that feature.
  6. K. Good enough for me. I actually realized when I got home that loading AVMOVFIX.WAD before AV.WAD was useless so I see the point now.
@Enjay: Got you a bit confused? Well, I agree, but because to me it would be a bit more professional-ish (I didnt have the switching problem because I used ZDL 2 for a time).
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

About switching the buttons around, I put launch on the right and exit on the left to mimic the next/back button placement on most other programs.

It really doesn't matter to me because I close almost all programs with alt+f4 anyway and I launch ZDL with enter.

Return to “Bio's Site-Place”