ZDL 3 Bugs
Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 17:59
Hoo I got bored. I could have told you this on IRC easier (er, maybe) but a few other people might be interested in this. ZDL 3 is an almost perfect launcher. However I've noticed it has some bugs (a few might be port related), and felt like pointing them out.
- I like lists too (k so its not a bug, but still).
- Sometimes ZDL either cant fetch the wad location properly, or uses a relative path. This is definetly a ZDL bug and not a port bug. Ex. I have had Green War (greenwar.wad) on the wad list, and when launched PrBoom (2.2.6) couldnt find it (so it crashed). I moved Green War to the PrBoom directory, changed nothing in ZDL, and relaunched, and it still could not find the wad. Finally, I moved Green War to the ZDL directory, changed nothing again, launched and PrBoom could find the wad.
- ZDL and Chocolate Doom just plain dont get along. The end result is Chocolate Doom creates config files in every ZDL takes a wad from, and ZDLs directory, and you really dont know which set of config files (or if it will overwrite the existing ones) ChocoDoom will use when you run it. This is just as probable to be a Chocolate Doom bug as a ZDL bug, and I realize ZDL wasnt built for non ZDoom engine games, so its not a really big thing.
- ZDL should not be launched when the port creates a .cfg or .ini file. It has really strange effects (ZDoom will sometimes load the wrong zdoom.wad file and PrBoom (2.2.6) becomes plauged by 'I_GetSignal: Exit on Signal: Signal 11'* errors). This, again, could be a port error.
- Not really a bug, and something you already know, but the 'Exit on launch' feature is missing. I think its even mentioned in your changelog so...
- Nitpick I know, but I have to ask, is there any purpose to the up/down buttons for the PWAD box other than novelty and organization? One example would justify it for me, but I cant for the life of me find that.