Time to talk about wxZDL

Stuff you want Bio to see. [Home]

Moderator: BioHazard

BioHazard

Time to talk about wxZDL

Post by BioHazard »

Yep, I'm working on wxZDL, though not so much untill I finish KwikStrip.

It's pretty much going to be a straight clone of ZDL3 unless anyone can give me another idea. Yeah, I'll update this post when new stuff comes up.

Anyway, here's that screenshot:
Risen

Post by Risen »

ZDL is already great, I don't see need for much further improvement to its interface or feature set at the moment.
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

Well, there are a couple of bugs that need to be fixed, like the PWAD saving thing and the port option brokenness. Mostly the reason I'm working on this one is for Linux support. That's why it will be a seperate project and probably not replace ZDL3 entirely.

After I get wxZDL out, I'll release the source for 3.0 so anyone who wants to figure out the aformentioned two bugs can have at it.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

How big is the final binary? Doesn't wxWidgets add 1.1MB to the final filesize or something along those lines?
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

Yeah, something like that. I'd expect it to be a nice size, maybe 1.5MB. I'll UPX it though so that might help a bit.

You have to make sacrifices for cross-platform.
Risen

Post by Risen »

Bug fixes would would not be part of the interface or feature set...
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

I would fix the current version of ZDL, but the way I wrote it doesn't lend itself well to bug fixing. I had to string a bunch of hacks together to add the last couple of features so the code is pretty messy. Also, these particular bugs are in an area of the code that I really really don't want to mess with in fear of totally destroying it.

On top of that, I lost the source for the current version and all I have is a broken development version. If I released that, it would be even worse than what's out now.

Post by Alter »

PK3 support is must have feature for launchers (I'm tired of command line which i must use to play pk3 wads!
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Ummmm.... just rename them to zip (which is all they are anyway) or use the All files (*.*) option in ZDL, or type *.pk3 into the open file dialogue. All of the above work. The only thing that is missing with the current ZDL is PK3 being part of the file name filter.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Does Linux use the TAB key in a similar way to Windows? Not being able to navigate using only keyboard bugs me. (there are other things annoying, like the forms for entering an IWAD and Source Port engine, but I doubt you'll change those at this point)
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

It should. I'm not sure.

I'm not sure why the tab stuff doesn't work in 3.0 though...
Risen

Post by Risen »

I discovered what I consider to be a bug.

If the Warp box is left empty, the +map command is still placed into the command line. It only strips +map if you set the dropdown to NONE. (Hey, what happens if you have a map called NONE?)
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

I'm redoing the warp thing for wxZDL anyway. I'd like it to scan PWADs and zips for maps. Anyone know of a good way to do this without requiring DLLs and stuff? Doesn't wx have a built in zip thing?

I could also just make it a typed field with no default selections too ;)
Risen

Post by Risen »

BioHazard wrote:I could also just make it a typed field with no default selections too ;)
Works for me.
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

Risen wrote:Works for me.
@All: Does it work for everyone else? I'd really like to be able to can the wad searching, It's very prone to problems and would save me a whole source file.

Return to “Bio's Site-Place”