Bio's SVN service thingy.

Stuff you want Bio to see. [Home]

Moderator: BioHazard

BioHazard

Bio's SVN service thingy.

Post by BioHazard »

I have been fiddling with subversion recently and I have to say. I don't see how I could possibly have worked without it. It makes version tracking so much easier.

I have a bunch of repositories (some are even doom utilities) and I got to thinking, "How can I let everyone get at my code?". I'd like to set it up so you guys can download the latest versions and perhaps even help me out with the code a bit. I read a few tutorials, but they seemed only good for a home network. I'd like to open up the repositories to the people on the internet but restrict commits and other modification commands for obvious reasons.

I'm okay with setting up another server to do it so that's not a problem. The main problems I'm having are:
  • How would you get to it? I suppose you could connect to my IP, but it changes almost every day. Is there a way to get my IP automatically without me needing to update every time?
  • How can I protect my repository from just anyone commiting stuff?
  • Must I open up my whole webserver to the world? I don't want people in my home intranet. Is there a way I can just give access to /web/svn? Maybe I should run svnserve?
Just so you know, here's the system specs:
  • Linux 2.6.17-gentoo-r4
  • SubVersion 1.3.2-r1
  • Apache 2.0.58-r2
Last edited by BioHazard on Tue Aug 15, 2006 0:09, edited 1 time in total.
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

Alrighty. I see that everyone is just so excited! Wow. I really feel special...

Anyway. I got a server up and QBasicer is nice and gave me a subdomain (bio.vectec.net) so now I have a SVN thingy!

I'm running SVNServe so all repositories use the svn:// protocoll.

svn://bio.vectec.net/test is the only repository I have up now, though I plan on putting up other stuff (including you-know-what :D ) in a few days. This project is empty (as of this writing) and has read/write full access to anyone so go make a program with it. I need to see if this system works.

I'm also willing to host other people's projects too so just drop me a line (via IM preferably) and I'll see what I can set up.

I'd like to set up a daily build thing, but I don't know how to get my Linux server to build Wnidows binaries so someone with VC will have to crank out beta builds when I update stuff. I'll still release the official versions myself though.
BlazingPhoenix

Post by BlazingPhoenix »

FireFox dosen't like it...
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

You have to use SVN to use svn:// URLs...
Perhaps something like TortoiseSVN would handle it for you, I don't know.

I'm working on an apache thing so you can browse the repository with a web browser. Hopefully I can get the web_dav_svn thing to work since that's supposed to be better than svnserve.
NecroMage

Post by NecroMage »

I just checked it out and it works. Now you just need to add all your apps to it.
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

I figured out what was so funky about my SVN server the other day. Apparently it was running out of random numbers due to the lack of hardware use. I fixed it though so the SVN service is running fine now.

Return to “Bio's Site-Place”