KwikStrip rewrite

Stuff you want Bio to see. [Home]

Moderator: BioHazard

BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

Like I said several times, itm starts with 0.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Anyway by the time I made that doublepost I figured it out... but that's just a suggestion for the file format.
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

I'd like to give this a hearty ol' Bump. The link to 2.0 Alpha 3 is busted, which is a shame, because I wanted to test it out on my Windows 95 (pre-OSR2) box.
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

If you have a pre Win2000 machine could you do me a favor and help me out with bugtesting? The way NT-based OSes handle various things is quite a bit different than on DOS-GUIs.

Show up on the IRC and we'll work it out.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Doesn't work on my 98SE with Unofficial SP1, period.

EDIT: I'll run the program again to see what errors I get so I cna share them. What's the channel and server?
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

[url=irc://irc.oftc.net/DoomArmory]irc://irc.OFTC.net/DoomArmory[/url]
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Any new news on releases?
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

Nope. I'm really busy with other stuff. I'll finish it eventually...

I'm going to rewrite the config handlers again now that I know how pointers to pointers work (from ZDL) so it will be a lot more stable. I should also be able to get it to come out from the other side and position it anywhere with a click combo. (from CS2)

I expect at least another alpha in a couple months.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Let me know when you need me to test it for you again. I've got Greystoke running again (replaced the video card, now it works a lot better) and still using the last alpha you uploaded. It works pretty well.
Hobbs

Post by Hobbs »

I too would like to bugtest if possible this time. When you get a beta.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Lol, I ran AntiVir on my laptop and it detected the odd compression of the Kwikstrip program (mew, the one that messes up on 98) as possible malicious behavior. Do you have one with the other compression on it available as a Win98 download? I REALLY want to use that as part of a shell.
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

Since my laptop died a couple of days ago, I don't have VC set up enough to compile any of my software. I should have it done soon.

I'm going to go around and update all my software with little things I forgot/missed or have been pointed out and those will all be compressed with UPX.

Actually, this might be a good time to talk about my future plans for KwikStrip. I don't like how it's limited to 1 row. I'm going to make it resizable. My question is: How will items be put on it? I would like to make the strip itself sensitive to files dropped on it ad create buttons as nessicary, you would be able to open your strip and move around the icons freely. The other option is using a tree control in the config menu with entries corresponding to rows and columns. Sounds great on paper, but I have a couple problems:
  1. I still need a way to test wether or not the cursor is on the window. I'm sure there is a way as I have seen it done in other programs. Can someone please look into this? I have searched for hours to no avail.
  2. I have no idea how to implement the icon dragging.
  3. I need beta testers on-hand who are willing to try to break it. Too many testers just say "ooh cool" and just keep it. I fon't need that, I need real help.

Another question is: Would anybody be interested in a program that reads the KwikStrip INI and just pops up a simple menu at the cursor location? It could come in the package with KwikStrip. PopStrip or something...
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

If you were to put together PopStrip, I'd like to request that you have a user-definable hotkey to pop it up - because as it stands, I have to minimize all my windows (since as far as I can tell, Win95 lacks the "Show Desktop" feature that 98 onwards has) to get at the KwikStrip.

Regarding drag and drop functionality: I don't see that as important as just being able to add/configure programs within KwikStrip's options menu. As far as I can see, that feature is still not implemented - and even if I have to open a configuration dialog to do such, it'd still be much easier than having to open an INI file and then quit and restart KwikStrip.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

What Weasel said. One feature at a time... implement the config menu first and we'll try to break it. I ALWAYS try to break stuff- that's how I learned programming in the first place. Then you can add the hotkey functionality (which should also bring it into focus, and give us the option to be global if you can implement that).

Weasel: did you try to right-click on the menubar to see if there was a Minimize all windows option? I forget if it was there myself but yeah. If not, does alt-tab swing around to it?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Right-clicking on the taskbar produces the Properties menu and the various tile/cascade functions, but no minimize-all. And alt-tab doesn't seem to pick up KwikStrip, unless the config window is open.

Return to “Bio's Site-Place”