KwikStrip rewrite

Stuff you want Bio to see. [Home]

Moderator: BioHazard

DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

You made making skins about as easy as XMPlay makes it. Actually a little easier- no masks to deal with. With that in mind it's no surprise at least to me.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

(kicks the forum)

KwikStrip's bugtracker bugs 44 and 39 are related. Consider 39 a duplicate.

Also the display does not show Amperstands- instead it underlines the lext letter (which is useless since pressing Alt-letter does not launch said program)
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

DoomRater wrote:KwikStrip's bugtracker bugs 44 and 39 are related. Consider 39 a duplicate.
No, they are quite different.

44: WM_DISPLAYCHANGE is sent to all windows when you change the resolution of your monitor. This can be easily processed to position the strip.

39: No notification is sent when a window docks on it's side. Therefore, it doesn't know when to reposition when you dock a window. This is unfixable unless someone can think of a way to check docked windows.
DoomRater wrote:Also the display does not show Amperstands- instead it underlines the lext letter (which is useless since pressing Alt-letter does not launch said program)
This is an easy fix, just one simple bit in the flags for DrawText(). Post it in the tracker!
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Okay, you listed "handling y offset error" as vexing. What seems to be the problem? Can't find it on your end, or can't correct the bug?

I'm going to test this on my laptop and with various skins to see if that makes any difference. The lappy casme up with a different result when I set it at the bottom (it changed to 52), though it has a smaller screen.

If the problem isn't being able to find it on your end, feel free to send me a debug version.
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

It seems to work for me, your bug wasn't very descriptive. What exactly do you have to do to get this to happen?
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

On my laptop, I have my Saria skin enabled. I then do this:
1. open Config window.
2. Change y-offset to 564.
3. Press OK.
4. KwikStrip jumps to 52 pixels instead of staying at 560. (560 && 255) It appears it's being saved as an integer for some reason.

Also, feature request: be able to manually type in the values for those rangeboxes. >_>

EDIT: Using the manual skin doesn't seem to make a difference- it still acts as if it's only a single integer being stored. And it does this both on my XP and 98 laptop.
Last edited by DoomRater on Tue May 09, 2006 20:59, edited 2 times in total.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

A doublepost- Is there any news on releasing a 2.6 beta version with the currently fixed bugs? I'd really like to be able to globally set the controls to something other than ctrl+alt+x.
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

I'm working on it. In the process of fixing a bug, I had to destablize a lot of code and it's not really releasable right now. I'd expect a fix sometime this week though.

I've been really busy setting up 3 new computers from scratch. That has been sucking up a lot of time lately.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Friday's agenda (DAH DAH DAH!!!!!!!) has rolled around. Granted, I'm slacking in my DECORATE repsonsibilities... but I figured I'd poke anyway.
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

Alrighty, I'm in "finish up KwikStrip" mode today. I'm cleaning out the bugtracker and adding what's left. There are a few things to not though:

1. Skin support will be radically different. All old skins will be broken and will need to be rebuilt with the new utility.

2. The new skin utility will most likely be command-line only and probably built into KS itself. You will use it similarly to this:

Code: Select all

# kiwkstrip -s C:\skin.bmp,24,16,96,16,16,24,36,36,128,72,FFFFFF,Tahoma
Perhaps it will have a built-in frontend, I don't know. It wouldn't be nearly as fancy as the old skin editor.

3. I'm planning on adding a debug window thing you can turn on via the right-click menu on the info bar (and perhaps the arrow) to help with debugging. I'll release BETA 4 before I do this though.

I'll be booting up my distribution windows PC on wednesday to do KDiZD co-op testing, but I'll try to zip up and release KS 2.5 B4 then if not sooner. It all depends on what kind of time I have in the next few days.
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

I seriously look forward to this. As long as proper documentation is made for the skin maker, I promise I'll make some nice skins for it.
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

Well it shouldn't be so bad. you could still use the old skin maker to figure out the numbers to put in the command line so it shouldn't be too dificult.

It's just writing that dialog is a real chore. I'll post the skin file specifications so someone can make an editor if they want to.
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

Just thought I'd let you guys know I'm still working on KS.

I'm working on getting the skin thing working and then I'll be making another public release. I only expect it to take another couple days at most but you know how that goes...

This is the first program I plan on documenting well. I have a HTML file and a stylesheet ready to fill with data. I'll start on that after I get B5R5 out. I'll make sure to document everything I can think would be useful and to take lots of screenshots.
BlazingPhoenix

Post by BlazingPhoenix »

Your finishing KwikStrip? Cool, this is indeed a pretty cool program.
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

Would anyone be crushed if I removed the sound effects? They increase the EXE size, they require another DLL, they consume 2MB of memory, many people find them annoying, there is no good way to re-define them for theme support and most of all, it has been brought to my attention that the sounds I've got in now are a copyright problem.

Return to “Bio's Site-Place”