End screen times

Advanced Wolfenstein 3D source port based upon Wolf4SDL and ZDoom.
[Home] [Download] [HG builds (Win)] [HG builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo]

Moderator: Blzut3

shinboy

End screen times

Post by shinboy »

Hello,

I am a speedrunner of Wolfenstein 3D. The community is having a difficult deciding on some rules for 100%. Since there are no times for the boss and secret levels, they aren't included in the final in-game time at the end of an episode, as well as the items in those levels aren't counted to the final tally.

I came here to ask if it would be possible to add a method of adding the time of the boss and secret levels to the overall time. This would make timing and the counters much more accurate. This could be totally impossible, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Maybe a debug key?

Thank you for any work looking into this, I appreciate it!
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Re: End screen times

Post by Blzut3 »

If you want, you can go about this with requiring a mod be loaded. The MAPINFO definitions for the boss levels and secret levels can be modified to set "forcetally = true" which should run the normal intermission code in both cases. To do this look in ecwolf.pk3 for the mapinfo definitions for the original maps, copy the relevant ones to a MAPINFO.txt and add that line. You can either put this mapinfo.txt in the root of a zip file, or if you want to support Wolf3D and Spear in one pk3, put one in filter/wolf/wolf3d/mapinfo.txt and the other in filter/wolf/spear/mapinfo.txt.

With that said, I don't personally recommend ECWolf (or LZWolf) as a speed running port. For that a derivative of Reflection Wolf3D should really be made to include the changes. Other changes I would recommend making:
  • Run the game in demo record mode which locks the game to 17.5 frames per second which eliminates the slow hitler fireballs and pushwall distance bugs (to name two notable ones).
  • Remove the on screen "demo" graphic when in demo record mode.
  • Ideally modify demo recording to work across maps like in Doom.
  • Display times down to 1/17.5th of a second. (The game tics at 70Hz but due to the way the vanilla engine was programmed I don't think there's any way for an action to occur in less than 4 tics when in demo record/playback mode.)
ECWolf refactors a lot things in the core of the engine which subtly alters the way the game works. These things are necessary for the goal of multiplayer support among other things, but in my opinion speed running should be done on a version of the game that's as pure as possible unless there's some really good reason not to.

Return to “ECWolf”