Playing VERY old Wolf3D addons / TCs with ECwolf?

Advanced Wolfenstein 3D source port based upon Wolf4SDL and ZDoom.
[Home] [Download] [HG builds (Win)] [HG builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo]

Moderator: Blzut3

TheAnon88

Playing VERY old Wolf3D addons / TCs with ECwolf?

Post by TheAnon88 »

Greetings!
Just recently, I went through some of my ancient HDDs, and came across files of my old, quite work-in-progress Wolf3D TC mod, or an "addon"; a fossil way back from the early 00s!
The thing includes LOTS of source-code edits, from new enemies and weapons, to brand new features like teleporters.

Now, a good 20 years later, the latest operating systems obviously don't quite support this nearly 30yo game and its primitive tools.
DOS Box plays the modded game perfectly, and ChaosEdit apparently can edit the maps and graphics just fine.
However, it would seem that both Wolf4SDL and ECWolf don't quite run this snowflake of mine properly.
It would seem that practically every new feature achieved by editing the source-code is reseted back to the vanilla state. Result is messed up visuals, odd enemy and weapon behavior...etc.

Could there be a method to get the ECWolf to play this kind of old "mega mods" smoothly ?
Or should I just give up and start recreating my teenage year's projects from scratch, using the ECWolf's more sophisticated tech as the base ?

Huge thanks!
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Re: Playing VERY old Wolf3D addons / TCs with ECwolf?

Post by Blzut3 »

Short of being DOSBox, there's no way for ECWolf to piece together what a mod that changed the source code is doing. So the only option is to recreate the mod using ECWolf's scripting format which isn't always possible depending on what the source edit did.
TheAnon88

Post by TheAnon88 »

Yeah, I kinda figured that might be the case. Thanks for the reply none the less!
ECWolf + ChaosEdit seems like an absolute wet dream come true to an ancient modder like me, who hasn't touched Wolf3D in nearly 20 years.
Guess it's time to start lurking the forums, read and watch some tutorials, and get my hands dirty with this future tech!
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

On the other hand ChoasEdit writes out garbage that ECWolf needs to detect and work around, so I really wish it would just go away. :P Not that you as an end user really needed to know that.
filipetolhuizen

Post by filipetolhuizen »

You could use WDC as an alternative to ChaosEdit.

Return to “ECWolf”