Animation in the menu?

Advanced Wolfenstein 3D source port based upon Wolf4SDL and ZDoom.
[Home] [Download] [HG builds (Win)] [HG builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo]

Moderator: Blzut3

enderandrew

Animation in the menu?

Post by enderandrew »

The pistol cursor/selector is animated by default.

I was looking at various ECWolf mods and I saw one that had multiple episode images which seemed to imply they were animating the frames but I didn't see any code in that mod to actually animate them.

Having six episode icons animating at one would probably be distracting, though if you only did one it might not be too much. The mod had identical frames for the first 5 episodes and only really had different frames for episode 6. I wanted to experiment and see what it would look like, but I'm not sure how to make it work.

I was trying an entry in ANIMDEFS

texture optional M_EPIS6
pic M_EPIS6 tics 3
pic M_EPIS6B tics 3
pic M_EPIS6C tics 3
pic M_EPIS6D tics 3

But that doesn't work. Though what I think might be even nicer would be to have a second image for episodes and difficulties that would appear briefly as you selected it like an onclick event.

Is there any way to achieve something like that?
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Re: Animation in the menu?

Post by Blzut3 »

The problem is the menu code is currently written to draw the frame in response to user input as well as few other specific conditions. So if you get animations to work it's mostly going to be coincidental that it works.

There are plans to rewrite the menu code again since this same limit causes other issues like OBS and other screen recorders not capturing the menus correctly, or in multiplayer users can't bring up the menu without pausing the game for everyone.

Return to “ECWolf”