Joystick mapping issues (xinput)

Advanced Wolfenstein 3D source port based upon Wolf4SDL and ZDoom.
[Home] [Download] [HG builds (Win)] [HG builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo]

Moderator: Blzut3

Gagert

Joystick mapping issues (xinput)

Post by Gagert »

Hi. I have experienced Wolf3d both through DOS (a Windows 98 machine to be precise) and the Gameboy Advance. Although the DOS version has music-support, the GBA version had a lot better controls if you ask me. The reason for that being that the GBA version had shoulder buttons for strafing in each direction, whereas the DOS version only had a single strafe button.

Speaking about controls, I'm having quite a bit trouble trying to map the buttons to my Xbox 360 gamepad via ecwolf. I have no problem at all while mapping the keyboard buttons, but somehow I'm not able to map the joystick buttons (the ??? symbols doesn't appear while trying to change joystick mapping, and yes, I checked the "Joystick Enabled" option). My only solution till now is to edit the ecwolf.cfg, and feed that config-file with the numbered code for each and every gamepad button. It gets pretty tedious doing it that way :|

Is there any planned fix regarding the joystick mapping via the ecwolf client?
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Re: Joystick mapping issues (xinput)

Post by Blzut3 »

Possibly, I've been thinking about picking up an Xinput joystick so that I can potentially support that API directly. Right now only DirectInput is supported, so I think the issue might have something to do with how the shoulder buttons are implemented there.

(All joysticks I have are DirectInput since they were bought back when stores had joysticks on display.)
Gagert

Post by Gagert »

Thanks for the reply.

I have an other question regarding gamepads in general; when you turn left/right with the analogue stick, do you make a sharp turn in either direction, or is there some kind of sensitivity code implemented that enables slow turning if the analogue stick is moved gently (like modern fps on xbox 360/ps3)?
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

Come to think of it, I do believe I'm missing sensitivity settings there. Movement and turning is fully analog though.

Return to “ECWolf”