HOWTO: Access Mac Wolf3D CDs and Disk Images on Windows

Advanced Wolfenstein 3D source port based upon Wolf4SDL and ZDoom.
[Home] [Download] [HG builds (Win)] [HG builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo]

Moderator: Blzut3

filipetolhuizen

Re: HOWTO: Access Mac Wolf3D CDs and Disk Images on Windows

Post by filipetolhuizen »

Blzut3 wrote:
filipetolhuizen wrote:The game crashes before I reach the menu. I have the crash report attached here.
Reproduced. Curious it doesn't happen on Linux though since it's not happening in the platform specific code.
Have you got a clue on what is causing it?
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

Haven't had a chance to really look into it yet.
TheCrimsonEscapade

Post by TheCrimsonEscapade »

I have the MacPlay version and it has 2 install discs plus an extras disc. I have a screenshot with most of the contents of each here: https://i.imgur.com/njaCLgH.png
The Desktop folder in both .dsk images are empty.
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

I'm going to guess you're out of luck as far as getting the game off the floppy images without a Mac/emulation. The extras thing I believe was added in by the person distributing the images.
TheCrimsonEscapade

Post by TheCrimsonEscapade »

Blzut3 wrote:I'm going to guess you're out of luck as far as getting the game off the floppy images without a Mac/emulation. The extras thing I believe was added in by the person distributing the images.
That's kind of what I figured when the only thing in the images was the installer.
Also, I was looking into the Mac version and it mentions that "The Third Encounter" includes the 30 levels from the SNES version, plus the 60 levels from the PC version. Does that mean it has levels that the PC version does not have? Or are they simply reskins to remove offensive material (I believe the SNES version was censored)
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

TheCrimsonEscapade wrote:Also, I was looking into the Mac version and it mentions that "The Third Encounter" includes the 30 levels from the SNES version, plus the 60 levels from the PC version. Does that mean it has levels that the PC version does not have? Or are they simply reskins to remove offensive material (I believe the SNES version was censored)
The "Second Encounter" (the 30 levels from the console versions of Wolf3D) are technically based on the PC levels. They're pretty chopped up in order to keep rooms small and otherwise optimize for the BSP renderer (which generally favors open spaces with few distinct walls) that the SNES/Jaguar/3DO/Mac version use. Here's the equivalence table:

Code: Select all

SNES|  PC  | Notes
----|------|
1-1 | 1-1  |
1-2 | 1-7  | Almost unrecognizable, west side of map mostly matches
1-3 | 1-9  |
2-1 | 3-1  |
2-2 | 3-3  |
2-3 | 3-4  |
2-4 | 4-9  |
3-1 | 2-1  | Secret: 3-5
3-2 | 2-3  |
3-3 | 2-4  |
3-4 | 2-9  |
3-5 | 3-6  | Exit: 3-2
4-1 | 4-1  |
4-2 | 4-2  |
4-3 | 4-4  |
4-4 | 4-8  |
4-5 | 5-9  |
5-1 | 5-1  |
5-2 | 5-2  |
5-3 | 5-4  |
5-4 | 5-5  |
5-5 | 5-6  |
5-6 | 6-9  |
6-1 | 6-1  |
6-2 | 6-5  |
6-3 | 6-4  | Secret: 6-7 (Secret exit not in PC)
6-4 | 6-7  |
6-5 | 6-8  | Top half of map mostly cut
6-6 | 3-9  |
6-7 | 6-10 | Compare start and west area, otherwise built on rooms instead of tunnels. Exit: 6-4
Combined with not having directional sprites (thus no pathing guards) and the new weapons, these levels play very differently even if you can recognize some of the areas. (Also, do note that even where I didn't write notes, some secrets are added/removed on many of the maps.)

The "Third Encounter" comes with 6 missions 10 levels each which match 1:1 with the PC version of the game. The difference is limited texture selection, the lack of guard pathing, and they inserted the new weapons into the game. Engine improvements over the "Second Encounter" include a dead guard object (for the first level) and the Pacman ghosts.

The "First Encounter" is just the first three levels of the "Second Encounter".

As for censorship in the SNES version, it was just graphic swaps: nazi references, most of the blood, and for some reason the dogs were replaced with giant rats. I'm not aware of anything changing in the levels going from the SNES version to the Jaguar/3DO/Mac. The console versions all have distinct tweaks to the game play with the Mac version being more or less the same as the 3DO version.
Nokiaman

Post by Nokiaman »

So are there any MD5 checksums to check if the files I'm using are fine? I got all of them, but I'm not sure if I did it right.
wolfdemo.bin

D5D3795E06932094E1935538E0FF9C01
wolflvls.bin

306E7E3EB5E086C8DEA03AD4706FDDA9
wolf3d.bin

08DC5F37CD763C138C4B7BCF7C707543
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

Those md5sums don't match mine, but that doesn't mean you did anything wrong. Our files could differ by only the 128 byte header (part of that 128 byte header includes the original filename, and said filename can be padded with garbage depending on the tool used to create it). I believe the header stripped md5sums are:

ea5fefa567acb5837a19934e7510fc17 wolfdemo.bin
dc7e3194e21326ee3181a5d1f7308a50 wolflvls.bin
2e30adb9cd26ab1fcfa07eec52fd4b88 wolf3d.bin
File sizes including the 128 byte header are:

1629312 wolfdemo.bin
270464  wolflvls.bin
2530688 wolf3d.bin
Nokiaman

Post by Nokiaman »

Oh I guess that makes sense. I thought I ripped them wrong cause all of them crash after splash screen. I used some tool to get them off Basilisk
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

I believe that's a known issue on Windows at the moment (see top of the page/bottom of page 1). I'll be getting back to work on ECWolf and other projects soon, but do keep in mind that Mac Wolf support is definitely experimental at this point.

My files were macbin'd by Mac OS X. I just put the id Anthology disc in and then ran the included macbinary program.
Nokiaman

Post by Nokiaman »

Ah I missed that. Oh well 3DO version will suffice for now :)
Good luck making this work. I can't wait!
Oh yeah it was HFVExplorer.
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

Found a weird bug with the mac version. The third encounter levels and all of the mods I tested seem to work (more or less), with the exception of the original 2nd encounter levels. I've tried re-encoding the file with macbinary many times. Not sure if it's an issue with my version or what, but I'm gonna try manually ripping the levels in WolfEdit tomorrow, see if copy and pasting into a new mod in the editor works.
Spoiler: Crash Report aka some gibberish
EDIT - I tried copying and pasting the levels in wolfedit and it still doesn't work. I can't explain this because every other mac scenario I've tested works (with the exception of that funky ass status bar and the different soundfont for the midi). I'm using the id Anthology disc and everything else works so I really don't know what the problem could be.

EDIT 2 - I tried another 30 level replacement (Laz's 2nd Encounter) and got a similar error. Seems to be the scenarios with lots of levels. Astrostein Munchkinstein and Hitler's Graveyard all loaded (complete with original sound errors - since we don't have access to resedit, certain mods will need tweaking in order to get them to work the way they were intended, unless you like your lasers sounding like machine guns that is), so resources don't seem to be an issue, just scenarios with lots of levels. Very interesting.
filipetolhuizen

Blzut3 wrote:I believe that's a known issue on Windows at the moment (see top of the page/bottom of page 1). I'll be getting back to work on ECWolf and other projects soon, but do keep in mind that Mac Wolf support is definitely experimental at this point.

My files were macbin'd by Mac OS X. I just put the id Anthology disc in and then ran the included macbinary program.
Still crashing for me under Windows before I can reach the menus with the latest build.
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

Did I ever post the required shim file? http://maniacsvault.net/ecwolf/files/macshim.pk3
filipetolhuizen

Thanks, but it's still not working. :(

Return to “ECWolf”