HOWTO: Access Mac Wolf3D CDs and Disk Images on Windows

Advanced Wolfenstein 3D source port based upon Wolf4SDL and ZDoom.
[Home] [Download] [HG builds (Win)] [HG builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo]

Moderator: Blzut3

AstroCreep

HOWTO: Access Mac Wolf3D CDs and Disk Images on Windows

Post by AstroCreep »

I have noticed a lot of people are having trouble obtaining the MacWolf files on a PC, so I'm going to hit you with a dose of knowledge.

YOU WILL NEED
One (1) CD Copy of MacWolf (I used the iD Anthology version)
Imgburn (if you happened to find your copy washed up on a bay crawling with pirates)
HFSExplorer
Doritos and beer

STEP 1:
If you own a physical copy of this game (which is the more honorable, while harder thing to do), you can skip this step.

Install and open ImgBurn, select "Write image file to disc" and burn. If you are using anything other than a CD-R, it will give you some warnings, which you can ignore as it doesn't affect if you can read the disc or not. Select your file and press the big burn button in the lower left corner. You MUST use ImgBurn - using another program risks losing partitions your system can't natively read - Windows sees HFS formatted discs as blank.

STEP 2:
Install HFSExplorer. Note that this program requires the JRE.

STEP 3:
Open HFSExplorer. Go to File and select "Load File System From Device". Press Autodetect. Unless you have more than one HFS partition/CD inserted, there is only one option. Otherwise go to the pulldown menu and select CDRom0. Press OK.

STEP 4:
Press Extract to dump the contents of the partition into a folder

I am not sure how the normal MacPlay edition looks, but in the iD Anthology version you can find the data files in the folder named "Wolfenstein 3D Folder"

:bfg:
filipetolhuizen

Re: HOWTO: Access Mac Wolf3D CDs and Disk Images on Windows

Post by filipetolhuizen »

Is ECWolf already loading the mac version?
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

The dev versions have limited support
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Ooh, I have the Id Anthology and I don't think I've ever had a proper poke around on the Mac disk. I'll have to try this if/when I get a chance. Thanks.
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

So close. The extract button will dump only the data fork, not the resource fork (which is all we actually care about). The "Extract Data and extended attributes" command will give a AppleDouble, but no idea how to get from there to a MacBinary (a single file that contains both forks). I could probably add support for AppleDouble resource files, but I would prefer not to if at all possible. Mostly since the file naming convention is not ideal for ECWolf's purposes.
filipetolhuizen wrote:Is ECWolf already loading the mac version?
As AstroCreep stated, the development versions have limited support. However, as my latest weblog post states, it's on hold at the moment since my old Mac is dead. Waiting until I know what's going on as far as me getting a full time job and probably moving out before I go hunting down a PowerMac.

Edit: Maybe this will work for that conversion? http://sourceforge.net/projects/macbinconv/ Already put my disc away so can't test.
filipetolhuizen

So, must all the files be copied as .bin with both data and resource or certain files with data or resource only? I have the full game installed on a real mac and on a Sheepshaver VM.
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

Just MacBinary the executable named "Wolfenstein 3D™" as wolf3d.bin and then the " Second Encounter (30 levels)" file as wolflvls.bin. A MacBinary is a single file that contains both the data and resource fork and that's what ECWolf can load right now. The third encounter missions can be named anything as they're loaded by drag and drop.
filipetolhuizen

Ok, got it to load. If I select Third Encounter it loads the opening screen with music and then crashes if I try to advance. If I select Second Encounter it crashes right away. Am I missing something or is it what it can load right now?
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

It should be able to load the levels just fine and then crash after completion of the final level. Try turning music off (in another supported game that is) and see if that helps. Most likely the MIDI code being awful again. I could grab the list of lump names if you have interest in making a music replacement pack.

You want to select the second encounter option since that loads both wolf3d.bin and wolflvls.bin. The third encounter option can be used (and probably recommended) if loading the third encounter missions.
filipetolhuizen

The game crashes before I reach the menu. I have the crash report attached here.
Attachments
CrashReport.zip
(8.36 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
PSTrooper

Post by PSTrooper »

A few weeks ago, I bought a cd copy of Mac Wolfenstein 3d so I could test out the Mac version of my Sprite Fixing project. The disc didn't even load in my pc, which I now know was because it was in HFS instead of standard UDF. So I took it to try to use at my college, since that's the only place I have access to a Mac, but the development features are locked on there. Right now, I'm pretty much fucked as far as getting this working. I usually wouldn't go out of my way for something like this, but being a "modder", I really need to be able to test out my mod before I can release it. I mean, you all can see that I do own the game. I just don't want to say I dropped $50 for nothing (mostly because I bought it new).
Spoiler: proof
Edit: Thankfully, the problem has been taken care of now.
Last edited by PSTrooper on Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:13, edited 1 time in total.
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

Sheepshaver loads the game perfectly. I'm not 100% sure on WolfEdit though. I also have a ECWolf mod I was working on and kind of forgot about. Kind of glad I did cause the new stuff in the dev versions kinda obsoletes this mod. It replaces the normal enemies with the Mac/3DO counterparts, although I never made it to the bosses. If you want I can send it your way, see what you can do with it, I used sprites from CeeJay's WolfenEdge project, so it has a few extra death frames and standing frames. Prob not too useful but might have something worthwhile in it.

Download it here

By the way, using the directions above, you can use HFSExplorer to access ANY HFS Partition. Pretty useful, especially since the Mac CD of the iD Anthology has Maximum Doom, which is missing from the PC disk.
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

filipetolhuizen wrote:The game crashes before I reach the menu. I have the crash report attached here.
Reproduced. Curious it doesn't happen on Linux though since it's not happening in the platform specific code.
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

Now here's a question I have been wondering - do we have to use WolfEdit to make maps or will it read the same format as original wolf now that this engine can (somewhat) support both? It would be nice to not have to use SheepShaver to make maps, not to mention that it would be impossible to do things such as third plane and decorate actors.
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

With enough work (making a translator) then you can make maps using standard wolf tools. I generally recommend using Mac editing tools though as the missions can be vanilla compatible and still have new textures and music tracks. But the PC format has more expansion options (per tile floor/ceiling textures).

Return to “ECWolf”