3DO music as a mod?

Advanced Wolfenstein 3D source port based upon Wolf4SDL and ZDoom.
[Home] [Download] [HG builds (Win)] [HG builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo]

Moderator: Blzut3

Nokiaman

3DO music as a mod?

Post by Nokiaman »

Would it be possible to make it as a mod to the Mac version? Or is it not possible right now? :)
I used Mac-enstein as an example of what I mean
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Re: 3DO music as a mod?

Post by Blzut3 »

It can be done now, although I don't have the names of the lumps on hand. They're generated based on the resource number (SONGXXXX where XXXX is the resource number in hex). It's generated this way since the music can be reassigned in a vanilla mod.

Can always use MAPINFO, which might be needed anyway if the 3DO version uses a different music ordering.
Nokiaman

Post by Nokiaman »

Great! 3DO version has Song128 - Song138 so maybe Mac one is similar.
I forgot to ask which formats are supported. OGG I assume? I see OGG references all over in hex editor so I guess it is :D
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

Those numbers sound familiar so they're probably the same. Just convert them to hex and pad to 4 characters and give it a shot.

Opus or FLAC are preferred, but Vorbis is supported.
Nokiaman

Post by Nokiaman »

So far I tried SONG128.OGG, SONG0128.OGG (just to be sure), SONG0080.OGG (hex?) and none of them work :(
I can't find anything in Hex so far, but I'll keep looking.
The NAZI_NOR you define at macwolf3d.txt MAPINFO works yeah, but only in TE with no episodes loaded (FE and SE still play the default one) and main menu is quiet so I assume these are separate.
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

I must have confused the prefix with an earlier revision, it's actually MUS_XXXX. And yes the song numbers you have are correct, although I will note that 83, 84, and 89 are missing.

Edit: If you're wondering why bother with hexadecimal. The resource number in the Mac file system is 16-bit and mods can assign any resource number as their music through the SONGLIST resource. Thus hex allows me to name the tracks according to that template without any worry of overflow. SONGLIST also assigns the title and intermission music (ECWolf currently assigns the title music to menu as well).
Nokiaman

Post by Nokiaman »

I understand your decisions. I mean after all ECWolf must be universal and making exceptions for stuff would get silly.
I still can't get the music to work though :D
Tried MUS_008#.ogg and still nothing. Maybe load orders or something I overlooked :?
It's .pk3 with music folder and the MUS_XXXX in it.

BTW I just noticed you posted filesizes of the FE/SE/TE (wasn't there before I swear) and I have exactly same sizes so I'm good :!:
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

Replacing MUS_0086 with a flac file replaces the title music for me.
Nokiaman

Post by Nokiaman »

Ah you're right. I assumed the 3DO has title theme as the first song ie. Song128. My bad!
Yep this works! Thank you so much for your help!

EDIT: Hmm I can't replace the Level Finished music also used in MAP08 of SE. It might have some odd naming :?
Ah it was 008A haha. I forgot it's hex dumb me :roll:
Also it seems 3DO version uses AIFC for music as rest of 3DO games.
Last edited by Nokiaman on Sun May 24, 2015 12:45, edited 1 time in total.
Nokiaman

Post by Nokiaman »

I checked all the levels in SE between Mac and 3DO one by one and the music fits like a glove. It seems 3DO version was really a direct port with some stuff replaced.
I made a documentation of all the used music in both versions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Song131 is present, but unused in 3DO version. From your previous post I assume MUS_0083 in Mac isn't even there.
Nokiaman

Post by Nokiaman »

I apologize for tripleposting, but I assume the same applies to sounds? I noticed 3DO has some different ones and would like to test them. Sound1 - Sound42.
Also no locked door and knife sounds?

EDIT: Hex editor indicates they are .aiff just like 3DO, but they have real names?

M60 firing.flac should replace the chaingun sound, but it doesn't odd.
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

The sounds are not AIFF. They're Mac resource sound format (SND). They were probably converted from AIFF which gives what you're finding. Anyhow, the sound engine is custom and closed source so the headers seem to have some garbage data (particularly the compressed one). Completely irrelevant to you unless you're making a vanilla Mac editor/mod. Just use PCM Wav, Opus, Vorbis, and FLAC.

https://bitbucket.org/Blzut3/ecwolf/src ... ult#cl-338
Nokiaman

Post by Nokiaman »

Oh that is indeed very useful. Thanks! Now I replaced chaingun sound, but it doesn't produce any sound haha. Might be some error on my part.
EDIT: Oh FLAC doesn't work, but WAV does so it's alright ;)

Those don't work so far (even in vanilla):
DSLOCKED - Trying to open locked doors
DSKNFSWG - Knife swing
DSFLAME - Flamethrower firing sound
DSRLAUNC - Rocket launcher firing sound
???????? - Pressing use on a wall

And menu sounds obviously.
uVSthem

Post by uVSthem »

3DO music mod would be awesome!!
Nokiaman

Post by Nokiaman »

uVSthem wrote:3DO music mod would be awesome!!
It already is. Just no point releasing it when Mac version is so broken and can't be even finished.

Return to “ECWolf”