Wolf4SDL vs ECWolf

Advanced Wolfenstein 3D source port based upon Wolf4SDL and ZDoom.
[Home] [Download] [HG builds (Win)] [HG builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo]

Moderator: Blzut3

Gumbemanden

Wolf4SDL vs ECWolf

Post by Gumbemanden »

I've heard that ECWolf is actually more limiting in some of the things it supports compared to Wolf4SDL.
That it does, for example, not support parallaxed skies or directional scenery.
Link (see bottom comment!)

Is this true?
Gez
Developer
Developer

Re: Wolf4SDL vs ECWolf

Post by Gez »

Wolf mods using Wolf4SDL basically change the source code to add the features they want; which is not how you're supposed to be doing things with ECWolf.

That Strife screen reused in OE:L cracks me up, by the way.
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Re: Wolf4SDL vs ECWolf

Post by Blzut3 »

There's a fundamental difference in the concept of a "mod" in the Wolf3D community. Since they edit the source code to Wolf4SDL directly there are infinitely more things that can be done compared to an ECWolf mod. However, if they were to edit the source code to ECWolf they would be empowered even more so. (I don't necessarily discourage people from doing that, but I ask that any source mod of ECWolf not be called an "ECWolf mod.")

To put another way, Wolf4SDL doesn't itself (the version you get from Ripper's website) support many of things OE:L does either. Their engine deriving from Wolf4SDL does.

The argument about parallax skies is because Ripper provides in the source code some code that can be enabled for that feature with relative ease. It still exists in ECWolf's source code, so in a way it supports parallax skies just as much as Wolf4SDL does. :P (That said, it would need some changes to work. Not difficult, but I have another way I want to handle skies.)

Return to “ECWolf”