How's dev on ECWolf coming along?

Advanced Wolfenstein 3D source port based upon Wolf4SDL and ZDoom.
[Home] [Download] [HG builds (Win)] [HG builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo]

Moderator: Blzut3

Banjo

Re: How's dev on ECWolf coming along?

Post by Banjo » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:02

As much as I am having a blast with Wolfenstein 3D all over again thanks to ECWolf, I am totally psyched for eventual Blake Stone support... I somehow missed those games (and Operation: Bodycount) in my childhood, going from Wolf3D to Doom then Duke3D, and just realized I have them on GOG but never played them! I intend to hopefully wait for ECWolf support, but it will be very cool to play new Wolf3D-style games I've never experienced before! :)

Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 18:47

I would recommend getting started with the games now instead of waiting. There will no doubt be conversion bugs early on so it's useful for people to have some familiarity with the game in order to point out what's wrong.

There is a port of Blake Stone out there at the moment in case you don't want to run it in DOSBox: https://github.com/bibendovsky/bstone/releases This port is based off the Blake Stone source release directly so it should be pretty accurate.

LkMax

Post by LkMax » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:19

Blzut3 wrote:There is a port of Blake Stone out there at the moment in case you don't want to run it in DOSBox: https://github.com/bibendovsky/bstone/releases This port is based off the Blake Stone source release directly so it should be pretty accurate.
Sweet! This is not ECBlake but is still much better than going through a Dos emulation, the framerate is a lot faster and the resolution is higher.

RetroWolf92
Retro Gamer + Wolfenstein 3D 1992 = RetroWolf92

Post by RetroWolf92 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 22:19

NeuralStunner wrote:Part of the problem is that there are a lot of things to work on:
  • Base functionality: Performance, rendering, sound, etc.
  • Game support: Getting Blake Stone, Rise of the Triad, and others to a playable state.
  • Modding support: Bringing in ZDoom features and designing ECWolf-specific ones.
If there were one or more active contributors for each feature set, development would probably rocket ahead.
Rise of the Triad? But I thought that ECWolf wasn't to deviate from parallel floors and ceilings. Or is ROTT the exception?

NeuralStunner
O'Neill with it.

Post by NeuralStunner » Mon Nov 21, 2016 22:54

It's using a system where planes can be stacked, emulating taller environments. IIRC this is the same way ROTT does it, while other engines (E.G. Raven Engine) used variable floor/ceiling heights in single 2D tilemaps.
Dean Koontz wrote:Human beings can always be relied upon to exert, with vigor, their God-given right to be stupid.
Spoiler: System Specs

Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 23:42

ROTT just has a vertical tiling column drawer, so it's able to render levels at any height. However the height is constant for all points in the level. RetroWolf92 seems to recall there being slopes in ROTT, but there are not.

Return to “ECWolf”