Wolf3D editing questions

Advanced Wolfenstein 3D source port based upon Wolf4SDL and ZDoom.
[Home] [Download] [HG builds (Win)] [HG builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo]

Moderator: Blzut3

Banjo

Wolf3D editing questions

Post by Banjo »

Still enjoying playing ECWolf and learning to mod for it, but in the course of things I've come up with several questions about modding that aren't strictly ECWolf related. I am happy to ask them here, but not sure if I would be better off joining a forum that focuses more on Wolf3D modding and such rather than bogging down this forum? Since before ECWolf I hadn't played Wolf3D since my school days (pre-internet!) I am unaware of where to start in such a case. I discovered DieHardWolfers which seems ideal, but when trying to sign up there every email address I tried (three of 'em!) are apparently "banned' and unable to sign up (presumably this just means no new members can sign up?!). Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, if/when I post my mods, where is the best place to do so? Here?

In the meantime... two not-quite-ECWolf related questions I'm still hoping someone can help with:

1) I've been using (and really like) HWE for map editing (with WDC on occasion for examining other data files) but is there a map editor or another way to easily batch replace textures/objects in a map? Say, if I want to replace all stone walls with blue brick walls, rather than having to go in and fill every single one by hand on a map, is there a "batch" way to do it? I'm not fussy what program or method, whether some old DOS editor I need dosbox for, or having to hex edit the exported map files, but hoping there's some way! I ask because I added a bunch of textures via xlat, made my maps, but now need to change the assigned xlat numbers... and really don't want to have to manually retexture every map one at a time if I can avoid it!

2) Using HWE, WDC or another tool, can I see the info for a specific map (non-ECWolf mod or base game) such as which music track is assigned to it or what the par time is? Obviously ECWolf makes life much easier by letting us set this in our maps/mods within the pk3, but how was this examined and edited in all those wonderful epic mods pre-ECWolf?
Gez
Developer
Developer

Re: Wolf3D editing questions

Post by Gez »

For 2, it's all hardcoded. If the mod doesn't change the source code, the order is this:

Code: Select all

//
// LIST OF SONGS FOR EACH VERSION
//
int songs[]=
{
#ifndef SPEAR
 //
 // Episode One
 //
 GETTHEM_MUS,
 SEARCHN_MUS,
 POW_MUS,
 SUSPENSE_MUS,
 GETTHEM_MUS,
 SEARCHN_MUS,
 POW_MUS,
 SUSPENSE_MUS,

WARMARCH_MUS,	// Boss level
 CORNER_MUS,	// Secret level

//
 // Episode Two
 //
 NAZI_OMI_MUS,
 PREGNANT_MUS,
 GOINGAFT_MUS,
 HEADACHE_MUS,
 NAZI_OMI_MUS,
 PREGNANT_MUS,
 HEADACHE_MUS,
 GOINGAFT_MUS,

DUNGEON_MUS,	// Secret level

//
 // Episode Three
 //
 INTROCW3_MUS,
 NAZI_RAP_MUS,
 TWELFTH_MUS,
 ZEROHOUR_MUS,
 INTROCW3_MUS,
 NAZI_RAP_MUS,
 TWELFTH_MUS,
 ZEROHOUR_MUS,

ULTIMATE_MUS,	// Boss level
 PACMAN_MUS,	// Secret level

//
 // Episode Four
 //
 GETTHEM_MUS,
 SEARCHN_MUS,
 POW_MUS,
 SUSPENSE_MUS,
 GETTHEM_MUS,
 SEARCHN_MUS,
 POW_MUS,
 SUSPENSE_MUS,

CORNER_MUS,	// Secret level

//
 // Episode Five
 //
 NAZI_OMI_MUS,
 PREGNANT_MUS,
 GOINGAFT_MUS,
 HEADACHE_MUS,
 NAZI_OMI_MUS,
 PREGNANT_MUS,
 HEADACHE_MUS,
 GOINGAFT_MUS,

DUNGEON_MUS,	// Secret level

//
 // Episode Six
 //
 INTROCW3_MUS,
 NAZI_RAP_MUS,
 TWELFTH_MUS,
 ZEROHOUR_MUS,
 INTROCW3_MUS,
 NAZI_RAP_MUS,
 TWELFTH_MUS,
 ZEROHOUR_MUS,

ULTIMATE_MUS,	// Boss level
 FUNKYOU_MUS		// Secret level
#else

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
 //
 // SPEAR OF DESTINY TRACKS
 //
 //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
 XTIPTOE_MUS,
 XFUNKIE_MUS,
 XDEATH_MUS,
 XGETYOU_MUS,		// DON'T KNOW
 ULTIMATE_MUS,	// Trans Grosse

DUNGEON_MUS,
 GOINGAFT_MUS,
 POW_MUS,
 TWELFTH_MUS,
 ULTIMATE_MUS,	// Barnacle Wilhelm BOSS

NAZI_OMI_MUS,
 GETTHEM_MUS,
 SUSPENSE_MUS,
 SEARCHN_MUS,
 ZEROHOUR_MUS,
 ULTIMATE_MUS,	// Super Mutant BOSS

XPUTIT_MUS,
 ULTIMATE_MUS,	// Death Knight BOSS

XJAZNAZI_MUS,	// Secret level
 XFUNKIE_MUS,	// Secret level (DON'T KNOW)

XEVIL_MUS		// Angel of Death BOSS

#endif
};

And for par times:

Code: Select all

times parTimes[]=
	{
#ifndef SPEAR
	 //
	 // Episode One Par Times
	 //
	 {1.5,	"01:30"},
	 {2,	"02:00"},
	 {3.5,	"03:30"},
	 {3,	"03:00"},
	 {2.5,	"02:30"},
	 {0,	"??:??"},	// Boss level
	 {0,	"??:??"},	// Secret level

//
	 // Episode Two Par Times
	 //
	 {4,	"04:00"},
	 {6,	"06:00"},
	 {1,	"01:00"},
	 {0,	"??:??"},

//
	 // Episode Three Par Times
	 //

//
	 // Episode Four Par Times
	 //
	 {1,	"01:00"},
	 {4.5,	"04:30"},

//
	 // Episode Five Par Times
	 //

//
	 // Episode Six Par Times
	 //
	 {6.5,	"06:30"},
	 {5,	"05:00"},
	 {5.5,	"05:30"},
	 {5.5,	"05:30"},
	 {8.5,	"08:30"},
	 {0,	"??:??"}
#else
	 //
	 // SPEAR OF DESTINY TIMES
	 //
	 {2.75,	"02:45"},
	 {0,	"??:??"},	// Boss 1
	 {3.25,	"03:15"},
	 {4.75,	"04:45"},
	 {0,	"??:??"},	// Boss 2
	 {6.5,	"06:30"},
	 {0,	"??:??"},	// Boss 3
	 {0,	"??:??"},	// Boss 4
	 {0,	"??:??"},	// Secret level 1
	 {0,	"??:??"},	// Secret level 2
#endif
	};
You'll just have to look for your answers in the source code usually. And if the mod must be run with its own executable, then the values above might have been changed! You'd have to read the mod's own source code, and quite often it's not available unfortunately...
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

Banjo wrote:Still enjoying playing ECWolf and learning to mod for it, but in the course of things I've come up with several questions about modding that aren't strictly ECWolf related. I am happy to ask them here, but not sure if I would be better off joining a forum that focuses more on Wolf3D modding and such rather than bogging down this forum? Since before ECWolf I hadn't played Wolf3D since my school days (pre-internet!) I am unaware of where to start in such a case. I discovered DieHardWolfers which seems ideal, but when trying to sign up there every email address I tried (three of 'em!) are apparently "banned' and unable to sign up (presumably this just means no new members can sign up?!). Does anyone have any suggestions?
Unfortunately that is probably the best Wolf3D modding forum and it is falling apart due to lack of maintenance. Wolf3D Haven is also a popular Wolf3D forum and the mods of DHW hang there as well so if you post about an account there you can usually get one made: http://wolf3d.darkbb.com/
Banjo wrote:Also, if/when I post my mods, where is the best place to do so? Here?
DHW, the ZDoom forums, and Wolf3D Haven (in approximate effectiveness order) are higher volume places to get your mod seen, but I do recommend posting here as well as at the very least it provides new comers an easy way to find ECWolf content.
Banjo wrote:1) I've been using (and really like) HWE for map editing (with WDC on occasion for examining other data files) but is there a map editor or another way to easily batch replace textures/objects in a map? Say, if I want to replace all stone walls with blue brick walls, rather than having to go in and fill every single one by hand on a map, is there a "batch" way to do it? I'm not fussy what program or method, whether some old DOS editor I need dosbox for, or having to hex edit the exported map files, but hoping there's some way! I ask because I added a bunch of textures via xlat, made my maps, but now need to change the assigned xlat numbers... and really don't want to have to manually retexture every map one at a time if I can avoid it!
Don't believe any of the tools do this. The best you can do is use the flood fill tool (pretty sure HWE has it), but that's not really what you're looking for. Remember that you can have a different xlat per map if needed.

Gez answered number 2 as well as I could.
Havoc

Post by Havoc »

Banjo wrote:1) I've been using (and really like) HWE for map editing (with WDC on occasion for examining other data files) but is there a map editor or another way to easily batch replace textures/objects in a map? Say, if I want to replace all stone walls with blue brick walls, rather than having to go in and fill every single one by hand on a map, is there a "batch" way to do it? I'm not fussy what program or method, whether some old DOS editor I need dosbox for, or having to hex edit the exported map files, but hoping there's some way! I ask because I added a bunch of textures via xlat, made my maps, but now need to change the assigned xlat numbers... and really don't want to have to manually retexture every map one at a time if I can avoid it!
You can batch replace textures/objects in HWE under the "Find & Replace" dialog, which you can access under "Edit > Find & Replace" or by pressing Ctrl + F. In the "Find & Replace" dialog, first select the type you want to replace (Texture/Object), by choosing a plane (Plane 1 = Textures, Plane 2 = Objects), then enter the texture/object ID you want to replace in the "Find what:" field, and then enter the replacement texture/object ID in the "Replace with:" field, and finally click on the "Replace All" button.
Banjo

Post by Banjo »

Thank you to everyone for your help and answers; it's so nice to have my first encounter with a modding community I'm new to be so pleasant and friendly!

I think I understand now about hardcoding for DOS/SDL mods; another reason ECWolf is so superior and *awesome*! I was curious because I'd seen several people (who weren't the original authors) "port" DOS/SDL mods (e.g. Astrostein, First Encounter, etc.) to ECWolf and I was assuming they knew what they were doing finding this data more than I did... but now I presume they did like I presume you have to without the source: finish the level and find the music used and par times that way! Curious how these folks are finding out the old mods' "enemy stats" and such without the source though... maybe it's more guesswork than I was assuming? :)
Havoc wrote:You can batch replace textures/objects in HWE under the "Find & Replace" dialog, which you can access under "Edit > Find & Replace" or by pressing Ctrl + F. In the "Find & Replace" dialog, first select the type you want to replace (Texture/Object), by choosing a plane (Plane 1 = Textures, Plane 2 = Objects), then enter the texture/object ID you want to replace in the "Find what:" field, and then enter the replacement texture/object ID in the "Replace with:" field, and finally click on the "Replace All" button.
*Huge* thanks to Havoc, for your solution to my problem with batch replacement; you have saved me a lot of work! Not to mention, HWE is my editor of choice; I'm new to Wolf3D modding, but it was by far my favourite out of the half-dozen I tried briefly to start with, and ECWolf's suggestion towards choosing it too was most welcome. Incidentally, Havoc, I've made some new tweaked definition files for HWE that "fix" a few missing map symbols and incorrect descriptions involved in the Lost Episodes (most notably SD3)... is it okay for me to make these available for others to use?

PS Finally managed to find an email that worked for DHW Bunker signup... seems they don't accept hotmail or gmail!!! So ironically, I had to use an email I never check instead of ones I check daily. :( Hope they're as friendly there as you folks are here!
Havoc

Post by Havoc »

Banjo wrote:Incidentally, Havoc, I've made some new tweaked definition files for HWE that "fix" a few missing map symbols and incorrect descriptions involved in the Lost Episodes (most notably SD3)... is it okay for me to make these available for others to use?
Sure. I could also incorporate these changes into the official HWE package, if you want (giving credit, of course).

Return to “ECWolf”