Feature request: Loading main data from wad or similar

Advanced Wolfenstein 3D source port based upon Wolf4SDL and ZDoom.
[Home] [Download] [HG builds (Win)] [HG builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo]

Moderator: Blzut3

LkMax

Feature request: Loading main data from wad or similar

Post by LkMax »

Hello,

I don't know if it's the best place to request a feature, but here it goes anyway:
it would be useful to be able to load all data from a zip, pk3 or wad, it would make handling the files easier and I would be able to keep the main game folder cleaner.
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Re: Feature request: Loading main data from wad or similar

Post by Blzut3 »

The correct place for feature requests is on the issue tracker.

With that said I'm precisely sure what you're asking so I'll answer all three possibilities:

If you're asking about unifying Wolf3D/Spear into a single file then the answer is no (see next answer for technicality). The maintenance burden isn't worth it. You should tuck your main game data into AppData so that it's out of sight and out of mind if it bothers you. (Alternatively, edit your cfg to point ECWolf to any directories of your choosing).

If you're asking about a custom game being packaged into a single file: The development versions support this although there's no way currently to activate said game from the command line. You'll need to edit ecwolf.pk3's iwadinfo to recognize the filename and then pick it from the menu. You can technically use this to do answer #1 on your own but I won't officially support it.

If you're asking about packaging a classic mod (be it full standalone or partial data replacement). ECWolf does load such files in a zip if you have a file called ecwolf.<insert extension>. That file can be either an empty file or full mod (including a <insert extension>MAP file to load non-vanilla files).
LkMax

Post by LkMax »

Thanks for the explanation, putting the files in AppData is a good "fix" for my organization problem, though I wasn't asking to unify the game data, just to compact all files (gameswap, maphead, etc etc) inside another, single, one zip/pk3/whatever (e.g. sod.pk3, wolf.pk3), but each file still intact inside.
I guess this sounds simple but is probably more complicated than I imagine then.
LkMax

Post by LkMax »

I changed the main data and the game loads, but my old saves are not appearing on the load screen, only new saves work. what could it be? :?
Maybe it's a bug...

EDIT: Well, the foreign parameter didn't work, I'll just leave the files on the main directory until I finish this playthrough. Thanks anyway.
Last edited by LkMax on Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:06, edited 2 times in total.
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

The code is a bit overly strict on determining if the correct game data is loaded, so since the paths changed it rejects them.

You can tell ECWolf to load anything without verifying with --foreignsave in the development version.

Return to “ECWolf”