Question regarding the most recent build

Advanced Wolfenstein 3D source port based upon Wolf4SDL and ZDoom.
[Home] [Download] [HG builds (Win)] [HG builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo]

Moderator: Blzut3

filipetolhuizen

Question regarding the most recent build

Post by filipetolhuizen »

Hello,
I tried booting ROTT with the latest build but it doesn't seem to recognize the data files. Did I miss anything or do I need that shim file for it as well?
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Re: Question regarding the most recent build

Post by Blzut3 »

You need to opt into having ECWolf find them. Make sure you have ShowPreviewGames set to 1 in you ecwolf.cfg. It should just work.
filipetolhuizen

Thanks! That did the trick. Weird results, which are expected for such early support. Midi works through the menus (shows wolf3d menus). 1st level loads, no weapons, enemies, doors, bobbin', textured floor/sky or wall height above 1 tile. Walls with animated textures already work fine.
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

Yep. Don't expect things to change much in the near term though as the goal is to just get all the games booting. Intentionally locked them off with a very user unfriendly switch to make sure there was no doubt that the user understands that these games aren't actually supported. :P

In case you missed the early commit where I actually noted the cfg parameter, the Blake Stone: Planet Strike support is also switched by that variable so ECWolf will find that data as well.
filipetolhuizen

Yes, you told me about that parameter regarding Planet Strike before. Were you able to boot C7/BC data for testing purposes as well?
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

Haven't run those games through ECWolf yet.
filipetolhuizen

It seems that most of all needed to run C7/BC is already there. I wonder if you could make them bootable as ROTT already is. Level height is working great.
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

Waiting on chunk name map files which someone in IRC has offered to do. Once I have those I can do that.
filipetolhuizen

Isn't WDC editor capable of displaying those?
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

I'm talking about generating a file like this one for the game data. As far as I know no one has assigned arbitrary Doom-style names to the chunks. Obviously I could do it myself, but I'd rather someone more familiar with the games have the honor and it's not that important right now so I can wait.
filipetolhuizen

One thing I can tell about C7 is that the digitized sounds system is a lot more complex than in Wolf3d. A certain size for all of them is expected in advance, which makes it very difficult to use customized ones. Anyway, you might probably know about this since it's easily found over the net...

Return to “ECWolf”