GUS Emulation

Advanced Wolfenstein 3D source port based upon Wolf4SDL and ZDoom.
[Home] [Download] [HG builds (Win)] [HG builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo]

Moderator: Blzut3

3371-Alpha

GUS Emulation

Post by 3371-Alpha »

It's cool that ecWolf can emulate adlib, but recently I found out that there was also an unofficial patch to add gravis ultrasound support to Wolfenstein 3D (no going to post any links as most sites that host this patch also host the complete game). If I'm not mistaken from reading earlier posts about ecWolf, it contains components from zDoom. How difficult would it be to port zDoom's gus emulation to ecWolf and add gravis support to the game?
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Re: GUS Emulation

Post by Blzut3 »

Most of the games have music in raw OPL format, so unless the patch you refer to modifies the game data I can't imagine how they would support the GUS without doing something similar to what Ensoniq did with the AudioPCI.

The sound code is currently more or less from Wolf4SDL so it would be difficult to do it now. I do plan on adopting ZDoom's MIDI code at some point (isn't really practical at the current stage of things). I guess it would get GUS emulation support then, but I don't really have personal interest in going out of the way to add it.
3371-Alpha

Re: GUS Emulation

Post by 3371-Alpha »

I believe the patch actually supports sound through external files (since the built-in ones are opl/sb only). Also I've finally found the patch, minus the warez, here. If this does become a feature I'll be looking forward to it.

Return to “ECWolf”