Mod (PWAD) loading on OS X

Advanced Wolfenstein 3D source port based upon Wolf4SDL and ZDoom.
[Home] [Download] [HG builds (Win)] [HG builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo]

Moderator: Blzut3

3371-Alpha

Mod (PWAD) loading on OS X

Post by 3371-Alpha »

I've only really started using mods recently (wanted to get the vanilla feel), and realized for OS X double clicking the mod files to open them with ECWolf or dropping them on the app bundle doesn't load them. You must instead cd to the app bundle in the Terminal and launch them that way. Is this a bug or just a current limitation? Also do you think you will add an autoload feature like zDoom?
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Re: Mod (PWAD) loading on OS X

Post by Blzut3 »

Probably a bug. Drag and drop should definitely work, but it's not something I actively test so it's possible it's broken.

There is autoload. You can find your ecwolf.cfg in ~/Library/Preferences and add the mods to the respective Autoload keys in there.
3371-Alpha

Post by 3371-Alpha »

Yep, it's broken. What do you mean by "autoload keys"? Some type of preference argument?

In a separate question, do you think you may add a UI to manage autoload eventually? Something such as a submenu at the pwad selector. Or do you think that's best left up to launcher developers to make an interface?

EDIT: oh, I see now: only the dev releases have autoload support. I'm still on 1.3.3 because the dev releases keep giving me a

Code: Select all

ReadConfig: Reading the Configuration.
Configuration:101:21:Error: Expected 'Float Constant' but got 'UH??AVSH??I??H??躛' instead.
error on startup.
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

Can you send your ecwolf.cfg in a private message? That's a strange error message which you could probably fix by deleting your ecwolf.cfg but you shouldn't have to do that when upgrading.

As far as more advanced mod loading and configuration, I definitely believe that's the job of a launcher. The game selector is platform native so any thing done there needs to be done 4 (or more depending on how you count) times. The alternative is to use something like Qt which would increase the distribution size significantly and make compilation more difficult for arguably little gain.
3371-Alpha

Post by 3371-Alpha »

Alright I PMed you with the file, it's worth noting though I seamed to receive the error still even with the cfg in the trash. The Qt kit, I believe that's similar to SDL in that it's suppose to make cross-platform compiling simpler at the cost of some finer speed optimizations, correct? Effectively they're using the same philosophy as java, although simplifying the creating of binaries rather than using interpreted/just-in-time compiling.

I have heard of another option to what you're describing, although I've never used it personally so I don't know if it's suitable. It's called GNUSTEP and it's based on Apple's Cocoa API, though open source.
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

It's a cross platform GUI library yes. The fine points are out of scope of this discussion, but the issue is turning a 3MB download into a 20MB download for a part of the experience that mostly exists to start the engine in the right mode.
3371-Alpha

Post by 3371-Alpha »

Ok, I get what you mean. You don't want to quadruple the size of the download for a minor graphical improvement some people might not even use. Fair point. There is one launcher-like feature that would be cool to add though: the Mac edition of the game showed custom levels in its episode selection screen. It was only if they had levels though; art tweaks/texture packs had to be modified into the main data directly. This is definitely something Doom source ports are missing.
Attachments
wolfenstein-3d_menu.png
wolfenstein-3d_menu.png (18.22 KiB) Viewed 5272 times
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

Confirmed that drag and drop loading is broken. I suspect it broke at the transition to SDL 2.0 as it looks like I need to do extra work to get the dropped file on OS X, but I know it worked at some point before.
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

Found this problem myself. I found that oddly when I upload the file to mediafire and redownload it, it works.

[EDIT]ok apparently I just never updated for a while. But it still works if you run from terminal. Easiest way is to open the ecwolf package and find the executable file, drag that into a terminal window and then type --file and then drag each mod into the window
saarstar

Post by saarstar »

Hi,

Has this issue been resolved in a more recent test build? I'm having the same issue with drag and drop on Mac OSX High Sierra, ECwolf 1.3.3.

Also how are the autoload keys configured in the ecwolf.cfg, in terms of running a mod .pk3?

Cheers!
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

Have not yet gotten a chance to resolve this particular issue.

The autoload keys take the path to the file you want to load. For example to load a mod when playing the registered wolf3d.

Code: Select all

AutoloadWolfWolf3DRegistered = "/Users/name/path/to/mod.pk3";
You can find the other keys in the cfg file. I don't think it should be too difficult to figure out which is for what, the only potentially confusing thing I can think of is that you might see "AutoloadWolf" and "AutoloadWolfWolf3D". These are hierarchical so things in AutoloadWolf will load in both Wolf3D (registered and shareware) and Spear (full and demo). AutoloadWolfWolf3D will load in both registered and shareware Wolf3D. And of course AutoloadWolfWolf3DRegistered only applies to the full version of Wolf3D.
Saarstar15

Post by Saarstar15 »

No problem! I assume it's pretty low on the hitlist, considering how easy the workaround is.

At first, the path wasn't working but I realized I had smart quotes enabled in text edit, which I think caused the ECwolf app to not read my config file at launch correctly.

Thanks for the explanation and for all your work on the port! :cheers:

Return to “ECWolf”