[ECWolf Modding] Adding new graphics to the hud

Advanced Wolfenstein 3D source port based upon Wolf4SDL and ZDoom.
[Home] [Download] [HG builds (Win)] [HG builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo]

Moderator: Blzut3

Wizarduous

[ECWolf Modding] Adding new graphics to the hud

Post by Wizarduous »

Hello. I've recently starting playing around with modding ECWolf and I've been working on my own pk3. I've been reverse engineering the tech demo that is downloadable alongside ECWolf, and one thing that I wanted to recreate was the addition of 2 extra keys for a total of 4. I've been able to figure everything out on my own up until modifying the in-game hud to accurately show which keys the player has in their inventory. I've racked my brain trying to figure it out. All I've been able to accomplish is adding 2 new graphics to the VGAGRAPH. At first it would crash when I loaded up the game, but I put references (?) to those 2 graphics in wl6map.txt, in the appropriate spot that I inserted them (which in this case was after the Get Psych graphic). So maybe those graphics are in the game, maybe not. I'm not sure how to get them to appear after picking up the new key objects (which do work, keys 3 and 4 open the appropriate doors).

Anyways, I don't know what I'm doing and I'm having trouble finding information about this. There doesn't seem to be anything about this on the ECWolf wiki, at least that I'm aware of. I was hoping that maybe someone around here has experience with this side of ECWolf modding and might be able to give me some tips, or point me in the right direction.

Thanks for the assistance
AstroCreep

Re: [ECWolf Modding] Adding new graphics to the hud

Post by AstroCreep »

I haven’t messed much with status bars but I did get that workin simply by copying and pasting the STKEYS2 and STKEYS3 graphics into my pk3. As long as the lock defs are defined and everything is in your xlat it seems to work.

I wouldn’t use vgagraph however. Simply put the two graphics in your wad, or a folder called graphics if you are using pk3
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

Yeah, you just need to add STKEYS3, STKEYS4, STKEYS5, and STKEYS6. The last two are for when the player has both keys 1&3 and keys 2&4 respectively. It's done this way so that you can have the extra keys share space on the status bar, but you can simply duplicate graphics to make it look like they're independent. The placement of the 3rd and 4th key graphic can be moved by using offsets on the graphics and/or transparency, but of course you'll need to use a wad/pk3 to have offsets and/or transparency.
Wizarduous

Post by Wizarduous »

Thank you guys for the help, I managed to get it working! I think my problem in the first place was assuming that the STKEYS# files in the techdemo graphics folder were named that way for no other reason than the keys needed a variable name. I had no idea they were tied into ECWolf this way. Now I just need to make better looking key graphics...

Return to “ECWolf”