F*ckin' MS Windows Updates!

Moderators: Rex Claussen, Persecution Complex Team - Paranoid, Phobos Directive Team

Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

F*ckin' MS Windows Updates!

Post by Rex Claussen » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:16

After getting these scary messages about MS Windows support for my version of Win 10 Pro coming to an end soon, I decided to update/upgrade the operating system to v20H2 (OS Build 19042.867). In all other ways the update/upgrade works fine. But GZDooM runs like molasses on a cobblestone street. [This is the hot-fix version that drfrag ginned up, as outlined in this ZDooM thread.] I tried to run LZDooM, in the hopes that I'd be able to run DooM in some form. However, I get the dreaded "Execution Could Not Continue" error. I suspect this is being caused because it it looking for a specific library that I needed to replace with a newer version required to run Chocolate DooM.

So, basically, I can only run DooM with Chocolate DooM. Not GZDooM. Not LZDooM. Not ZDooM. At this point, I'm f*cked. And not in a good way.

Rachael
Developer
Developer

Re: F*ckin' MS Windows Updates!

Post by Rachael » Sun Apr 11, 2021 21:37

For GZDoom you should be able to start the modern version using the following shortcut:

Code: Select all

gzdoom +vid_preferbackend 2 +vid_scalemode 1 +vid_scalefactor 1 -iwad doom2
Note that this sets a couple of preferences that you will have to undo once you get access again to a fully accelerated renderer.

In the meantime, please post your issue here so that I and others can help you fix this problem.

Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen » Fri Apr 16, 2021 19:25

Thanks, Rachael. I'll do what you suggested and report back here.

Meanwhile, I got LZDooM to run in its own folder. I think I was using a different dll file than the one LZDooM requires.

[EDIT: No luck. I tried running GZDooM with the command line parameters you suggested, but GZDooM remains unplayable. Per your suggestion, I have posted about the problem in the ZDooM forums.]

Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen » Sat Apr 24, 2021 17:03

All is well now. drfrag suggested I switch back my graphics drivers from Win 10 to Win 8.1 I did, and GZDooM runs fine now.

Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael » Sun Apr 25, 2021 15:44

Excellent. :)

mattbratt11
aka Matt Mania

Re: F*uckin' MS Windows Updates!

Post by mattbratt11 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 23:22

I knew Rex could make it alive. I'm proud of that. Keep it up, bro.
"The Icon is just the Epic Beginning, bring out the many IOS Variants!" --Legendary Icon of Sin (A Complex LCA Custom Monster by mattbratt11)

The Legendary Icon of Sin
Coming Soon to Fluffy's Nexus Addon.

Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen » Sun May 02, 2021 17:07

@mattbratt11: Except for my work computer at my desk (on which I won't do any DooM-related stuff) my other computers are dinosaurs. I have been looking into doing piecemeal upgrades to my hardware, but the consensus is to abandon my old hardware and build a custom rig from the ground up. We'll see how that goes.

Return to “News”