A Minor Update

Moderators: Rex Claussen, Persecution Complex Team - Paranoid, Phobos Directive Team

Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

A Minor Update

Post by Rex Claussen »

I figured it's time to sweep away the cobwebs in this corner of the internets. Not much has been happening on the DooM front, but plenty of stuff from a personal standpoint. My personal situation has allowed very few moments of spare time, which I've then used to scramble for some sense of normalcy - going to the gym once a week (instead of my customary 5-7 times), enjoying some quiet occasions for reflection via the surprisingly-affordable Loch Lomond single malt Scots Whiskey, and my daily brisk walks. Not much time for DooM, though. But things are beginning to stabilize, and I ought to be able to claw back some additional breathing room.

As for DooM, I was energized by Enjay's creation of a new device for use in Parallax. These are the trampolines found throughout the Xen episode of Half-Life. In Paranoiac I set those trampolines up using textures; Enjay has set them up using animated models. They look and work spectacularly well, and I have already implemented one of them in an existing map for Parallax. My plan is to create a completely new map that is largely based on these trampoline, which can be used to thrust upwards but also sideways and downwards. This will lend itself to new types of puzzles.

My computer/intel graphics drivers/Win 10 issues have stabilized. I have discovered workarounds to allow me to continue testing maps in GZDooM using my old computer. I might be getting a newish computer that will allow me to use updated versions of GZDooM and Ultimate DooM Builder. Enjay has been encouraging me to switch from DooM in HeXen format to UDMF, and I might find the impetus to take that on as well.

Stay tuned, and thank you both for checking in.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Re: A Minor Update

Post by Enjay »

Rex Claussen wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 13:52 ...and Ultimate DooM Builder. Enjay has been encouraging me to switch from DooM in HeXen format to UDMF, and I might find the impetus to take that on as well.
:D
As with moving to any new bit of software, there will be a bit of frustration and a learning curve. However, once I finally committed to doing it, neither of these were as problematic as I feared they might be. In fact, the move was pretty smooth and the features that UDMF unlocked were very much worth the relatively minimal skill-transfer process.

Return to “News”