Autumnal Infernox

Moderators: Rex Claussen, Persecution Complex Team - Paranoid, Phobos Directive Team

Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Autumnal Infernox

Post by Rex Claussen »

"What's that?" you ask. "What the heck is an 'autumnal infernox'? Is that something like an infernal equinox? Or an Italian On-the-Rocks?"

To which I reply: "Ah, my benighted friend. So little do you comprehend. Just imagine a hellish landscape where the leaves have just started falling from the trees and the Sun is crossing the celestial equator. At that precise moment, when the balmy (read: scorching) summer ends and the cool (read: ballacks-freezing) autumn begins, is the Autumnal Infernox. It's also when you need to be watching out for a fireball (or three) in your back."

As you guessed, my incoherent ramblings are leading, inexorably, into a DooM-related cul-de-sac. [I suppose, all things considered, that's what Autumnal Infernox is - a "DooM-related dead end." Heh.] Anyway, at the risk, of boring you into a snore-inducing slumber, here is what you need to know:
  • 1. Two maps for The Ultimate DooM
    2. Vanilla DooM-compatible
    3. Plays on Maps E3M1 and E3M9
    4. Non-linear and rife with traps and surprises of an exceedingly nasty nature
    5. Instigating monster infighting is highly encouraged to conserve ammo
Text file is here
Download zip file is here

Screenshots to follow, once I shake off this ennui.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Re: Autumnal Infernox

Post by Rachael »

This is fairly intriguing. It's like a remixed version of the original Hell Keep and Warrens, but more complex and interesting. I like how some areas were familiar and some were new, but it really was just its own thing.

I thought I would have to warp to E3M9 after reaching the exit but I didn't know it was a secret exit so I was surprised when I was already there. :)
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Rachael wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:54 It's like a remixed version of the original Hell Keep and Warrens, but more complex and interesting. I like how some areas were familiar and some were new, but it really was just its own thing.
Rachael! It's good to see that you still visit these forums. Yes, the idea was to create areas that gave a sense of deja vu, but also vastly expanded the original DooM maps.
I thought I would have to warp to E3M9 after reaching the exit but I didn't know it was a secret exit so I was surprised when I was already there. :)
I debated whether to release the 2 maps separately, or to name the second map E3M2 so the player would exit normally from E3M1 and start the second map. In the end, I opted for the secret exit method in E3M1. The point was to let players know that the second map is an homage to the theme of the original E3M9, where you start (and initially progress) in a manner identical to E3M1.

I also deviated somewhat from the theme of the original E3M9, as you've already figured out.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

I probably don't visit as often as I should. Good timing on this visit, I suppose. :)

And yes, I did figure that out. :) It's a good pair of maps!
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

I really enjoyed that. I've always liked how E3M1 and E3M9 related to each other and this takes the idea and advances it quite a bit: lots of sections familiar from the first map but populated differently, approaching from the opposite end etc. Very cunning - and all wrapped up in the kind of quality maps that you have been treating us to for years. (and lots of Rex trade-mark sweeping curves and powerful architecture). Definitely a pair of good Doom maps.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

@Enjay, thank you very much for your kind words. (I would have responded sooner, except that I was experiencing a DooM burn-out and wanted to give myself some distance before I got back on the forums.)

Return to “News”