It Seems Windows 10 is Not Done Rogering Me

Moderators: Rex Claussen, Persecution Complex Team - Paranoid, Phobos Directive Team

Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

It Seems Windows 10 is Not Done Rogering Me

Post by Rex Claussen »

I had previously reported about how a Windows update made GZDooM unplayable. I was able to get GZDooM to run well again by the simple expedient of installing old intel (f*ckin' intel) drivers that were designed for Win 8.1 support, and playing GZDooM in compatibility mode.

Well, yesterday I installed Windows updates, and (as expected) they restored the updated intel drivers that prevent GZDooM from working. "No problem", I said, "I'll simply install the old drivers." So, off I went and installed the old drivers, restarted Windows, and checked to make sure the old drivers were still installed, and that Windows hadn't snuck in another update that reversed my driver change. With me so far?

You'd think that GZDooM would run like a champ, but nooooo! We're back to how things were after I made the original Windows update that set my teeth on edge. I checked GZDooM to ensure it's running in Win 8 compatibility mode, and it sure is. At this point I want to use my laptop as a discus and hurl it as far away from me as possible. Of course, given that it lacks the necessary aerodynamic properties, it's likely land on my foot and cause me excruciating pain. Or, at least, more pain than I'm already feeling.

[Do I sound bitter?]
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Re: It Seems Windows 10 is Not Done Rogering Me

Post by Rex Claussen »

After much late-night trial and error, I've figured out a "fix". After the old drivers are installed a window pops up telling me that I need to restart the computer for the changes to take effect. Each time I would restart and each time GZDooM wouldn't work. The final time I simply checked the radio button that said I would restart later. GZDooM works fine now; it seems the intel pop up window is a hoax, and the computer does not need to be restarted for the changes to become effective.

I hate Windows. I hate intel.

Return to “News”