Reach > Grasp

Moderators: Rex Claussen, Persecution Complex Team - Paranoid, Phobos Directive Team

Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Reach > Grasp

Post by Rex Claussen »

In other words: Bit Off > Can Chew

At this point the two of you who visit here are probably scratching your heads and going: "What's the nutter going on about?" Fear not, gentle readers (unless, of course, you happen to blunder into one of my new maps - see below), all shall be explained.

As I mentioned in my last post, a long, long, time ago [(seemingly) in a galaxy, far, far away], I had decided to expand Temple of the Ancients: Redux to a 10-map set. But I couldn't make significant progress. An example of reach exceeding one's grasp. Subsequently, I was working on the final map of Paranoiac, and was creating a cargo storage area. It grew, and it grew, and I finally decided to split it up into its own map. And then it languished. An example of biting off more than I could chew. Sound familiar?

I my defense, I have been swamped with work for my job - four new contracts, additional travel to new customer sites, blah, blah. blah. In addition, I've traveled far & wide for recreation as well, once across the Atlantic and once across the Pacific. So I think I can be excused for falling down on the job, so to speak. Still, I have finally managed to squeeze in some work for DooM, as have others:
  • 1. I have been working on a new GZDooM map, named Fear Station Bravo. This is based on the proof of concept I had developed for Rampage M. All the basic mapping had already been done, and I have been "beautifying" it with sector-based decorations. It's meant to represent a waste-treatment facility, with lots of liquid columns, pipes, etc. Screenshots soon.
    2. Jeff Ligda has created some more tunes for Paranoiac.
    3. Nothing from DBT. I'm thinking of alternatives for new weapons and enemies for ToTA:R.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Re: Reach > Grasp

Post by Rachael »

You sure are a busy man. Like I always say - your life and your job always matter most. We'll take what graces of creativity you can spare for us whenever we can. :)
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Eruanna wrote:We'll take what graces of creativity you can spare for us whenever we can. :)
Speaking of graces of creativity, do you recall that you volunteered to develop a hand-held device for DooM that would provide status of mission objectives? Does your college schedule allow you to get back into that project?

Additionally, do you have any interest in developing weapons and/or enemies for a GZDooM project?
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Rex Claussen wrote:
Eruanna wrote:We'll take what graces of creativity you can spare for us whenever we can. :)
Speaking of graces of creativity, do you recall that you volunteered to develop a hand-held device for DooM that would provide status of mission objectives? Does your college schedule allow you to get back into that project?
I do remember that, I thought that was scrapped when the actual game was released though.
Rex Claussen wrote:Additionally, do you have any interest in developing weapons and/or enemies for a GZDooM project?
I'll take a look.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Eruanna wrote:
Rex Claussen wrote:Speaking of graces of creativity, do you recall that you volunteered to develop a hand-held device for DooM that would provide status of mission objectives? Does your college schedule allow you to get back into that project?
I do remember that, I thought that was scrapped when the actual game was released though.
You are correct in that the idea was put onto the back-burner, at least in my mind. However, as you had already put some effort into it, I thought that the idea could be resuscitated when you found some time, and the "device" could be used in some other project with multiple objectives and sub-objectives.

At this point I don't have a specific project in mind, but there may be others in the mod community that would definitely find some utility for the "device". But, of course, you're the one that needs to decide if the additional effort is worth the final product - especially if there is no specific project that needs it.

If I start a project that would benefit from an objectives tracker, I'll give you a shout-out.

[EDIT: What was I thinking? Temple of the Ancients: Redux needs an objectives tracker. Please refer to this post.]

Return to “News”