.... In With the New

Moderators: Rex Claussen, Persecution Complex Team - Paranoid, Phobos Directive Team

Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

.... In With the New

Post by Rex Claussen »

Fear Station: Charlie is a tech-themed map for GZDooM that plays on DooM2 Map01, but the gameplay is more suitable for Map27 or so. It features a new music track, a new, tall sky, non-linear progression, and plenty of 3D constructs.

Fear Station: Charlie is ready for download:

Text File
Download File

Happy New Year, friends.
More pics here.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Re: .... In With the New

Post by Enjay »

A very nice way to spend Jan 1st. Loved the use of 3D - both decoratively and within the logic and layout of the map. Good supply of weapons just when I needed them and good progression of enemies. It's quite "corridory" but I really liked the use of the big, wide sweeping corridors.

I even managed to kill all bad guys, find all secrets (without reading your secrets file - normally something I fail miserably at) and collect all items. Took me 30 minutes and 3 seconds.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Updated my post, above, with pics.
Enjay wrote:A very nice way to spend Jan 1st. Loved the use of 3D - both decoratively and within the logic and layout of the map. Good supply of weapons just when I needed them and good progression of enemies.
I'm very glad you liked it.
It's quite "corridory" ....
Ha! I knew you'd feel that way if you played the map. You felt the same way after Fear Station: Bravo
I even managed to ... find all secrets (without reading your secrets file - normally something I fail miserably at) and collect all items.
Yes, secret areas in my maps seem to have a way of getting your goat. I must be slipping in my old age.
Took me 30 minutes and 3 seconds.
That's probably 15-20 minutes faster than I'm able to do.

Incidentally, the battles play differently, depending on which weapons you pick up. For instance, you meet generally lesser resistance if you only pick up the shotgun, chaingun, and chainsaw. Somewhat stiffer resistance if you pick up the super shotgun. And maximum resistance if you pick up the rocket launcher and/or the plasma rifle. In other words, aside from the non-linearity lending itself to replay value, your decisions to pick up or skirt those 3 weapons also add to the replay value.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Rex Claussen wrote:Incidentally, the battles play differently, depending on which weapons you pick up. For instance, you meet generally lesser resistance if you only pick up the shotgun, chaingun, and chainsaw. Somewhat stiffer resistance if you pick up the super shotgun. And maximum resistance if you pick up the rocket launcher and/or the plasma rifle. In other words, aside from the non-linearity lending itself to replay value, your decisions to pick up or skirt those 3 weapons also add to the replay value.
Oooh, that's clever. I did wonder if something was going on relating to weapons/enemies but I didn't think it was as cunning as that.

That may explain why I was able to get through quite quickly. I stuck with a shotgun/chaingun combo for quite some time and didn't actually pick up the rocket launcher/plasma gun until I was doing a bit of a level mop-up before progressing on to the final phase of fighting.

I'm going to have to go back and play with different decisions now. :)
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

I meant to say, this area in particular caught my eye. I really like what you did with the sloped overhead computer panels there.

Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Ha, ha, yes! If you were making the map, however, you'd have created models to replace the sector-based monitors, and it would have looked mo' grander.

I spent a good hour with the CONS1_7 textures for some of the panels (using TEXTURES lump manipulation), and finally gave up because I couldn't get the darn thing to line up properly. No matter what I did, Rotate 180, offset, nothing worked. Finally, I gave up and created a new texture.

Return to “News”