Halten Sie! - Conversion to ECWolf [UPDATE - 2/24/15]

For released projects. Completed or in progress as long as something is playable.
AstroCreep

Halten Sie! - Conversion to ECWolf [UPDATE - 2/24/15]

Post by AstroCreep »

Here is a conversion of "Halten Sie!" by Laz Rojas to ECWolf. This has the original 10 levels from the PC set, plus the missing 2nd level that was from the Mac scenario and also was in the WolfenDoom scenario. Everything was copied over from the original mapset, except for the 2nd level, which I mapped out by comparing it to the wolfendoom version. Since the Trans and DK sprites are just pasted over Gretel and Fatface, this is incompatible with the sprite enhancement set.
Spoiler: Screenshots
Download - http://www.mediafire.com/download/43e7e ... halten.pk3

:twisted: *******UPDATE 2/24/15******* :twisted:

I have added floor textures to the hires version, as well as a few fixes and I redid the bosses in decorate. You no longer have to free float carelessly over a light gray abyss. Please redownload if you have a previous version
Spoiler: SCREENSHOTS! :mrgreen:
DOWNLOAD - http://www.mediafire.com/download/o4f17 ... nhires.pk3
Last edited by AstroCreep on Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:38, edited 7 times in total.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Re: Halten Sie! - Conversion to ECWolf

Post by Enjay »

Downloaded and I will try it later on. Thank you.
TheCrimsonEscapade

Post by TheCrimsonEscapade »

I forget, what are the command line arguments to run mods in ECWolf?
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

It's --file, of course drag and drop works and thus the --file is optional in most cases.
PSTrooper

Post by PSTrooper »

I wonder how hard it would be to get the actual actors of Trans and DeathKnight working in a Wolfenstein map?
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

I'm actually having problems loading mods on my mac. Drag and drop doesn't seem to work. You think it'd work from terminal? I seriously hope there's an easier way, as I would really like to test the next thing I'm working on and don't feel like driving through a foot of snow just to get home to my desktop lol

And to answer, PSTrooper's question, it doesn't seem too hard, just harder than ZDoom. The difference is that map translator file. I think something to think about in the future of ECWolf would be a universal map translator file for at least the wolf games, as I know that many people would just like to be able to make maps using the original assets, but would also like to be able to use spear enemies as well. It may make things easier later with things like MacWolf, as maybe the actors from the original wolf could be recycled in MacWolf, since at least the bosses didnt act too differently.
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

The MacWolf actors act a little differently. Mostly in regards to animation frames (no pause while walking). Being based on the SNES branch of the engine there are also a lot of other subtle changes like using bitwise operations instead of division where ever possible (even if the result is not exactly the same). For semi-obvious reasons, MacWolf is closer to S3DNA than DOS Wolf3D.

As for loading on the Mac, it's strange that people are having trouble with drag and drop there. It works for me™. However the terminal does always work. It's a little complicated on the Mac because Apple said so, but you have two options 10.6+.

Code: Select all

open ECWolf.app --args --file <filenamehere>
-- or --
ECWolf.app/Contents/MacOS/ecwolf --file <filenamehere>
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

Update to the project. See first post.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Re: Halten Sie! - Conversion to ECWolf [UPDATE - NOW IN HI-R

Post by Enjay »

I like the hi-res textures but I think the darker lighting detracts from it a little because the cyan doors don't look as good in the darker lighting (IMO). The way that they are colour mapped makes them look as if they have light grey bands across them at the lighter parts versus the darker cyan areas. Both versions are good fun to play though. :)
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

@PSTrooper, I loaded up the original wolfenstein e1m9 in SOD just to see what would happen, and Hans appeared to work, although using chopped up frames of
the ubermutant and the officer, so maybe with a little bit of cleanup it will work natively just pasting trans in a wolf map and so on
Last edited by AstroCreep on Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:49, edited 1 time in total.
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

ECWolf does not make any distinction between games as far as actor availability goes. The only difference there is the xlat script. So just changing the xlat and providing the sounds and sprites is enough to port an actor from one game to the other.

However, since this is a port of an existing mod, it's probably best to keep it as it was given. The actors in the Mac version of Wolf3D are slightly different in timings, and ECWolf will support the Mac mission as-is eventually, so it's probably best to model after the PC version anyway.
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

Really I should have used decorate to have trans/dk's attributes paste over gretel/fatface's. With trans it's unnoticeable since all the grosses are practically clones, but the missles and health is way off for the dk. It really is just kind of ghetto-rigged in there, lol, but that's how it had to be done back in the day if you didnt wanna crack the source open. Next thing I'm doin, I'm using decorate to replace actors I'm not using, that way it works a little bit more like its supposed to, but I don't think I'm gonna mess with this mod anymore lol.

Also, referring to what you said about xlats, I never changed it for the mod I loaded in and yet hans was working, sans assets. Maybe wolf can recognize spear xlat functions?
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

The Spear xlat is more or less a super set of the Wolf3D xlat. A few things were overwritten IIRC, so they're not exactly interchangeable.
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

Well at least we got Hans lol.
PSTrooper

Post by PSTrooper »

Interesting. Yeah, I'm all for keeping the mod closer to the original also. If you wanted to update it to use the actual actors, I wouldn't mind. :)

You seem to be using an old version of the sprite fixing project. I've updated it since then to include pain rotations I made for all the non boss enemies.

Edit, I can't seem to beat map 3 without cheating because there is a guard blocking the pushwall behind the locked door.

Return to “Releases”