CeeJay's hi-res/enhancement patch (v.8)

For released projects. Completed or in progress as long as something is playable.
Cleveland Rock

Re: CeeJay's hi-res/enhancement patch (version 7)

Post by Cleveland Rock »

Well, this is odd. I decided to try it out, and it looks like this.

It also seems to change the machine gun to use different ammo than the pistol… and switching to the pistol doesn't let me switch back to the machine gun.
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

Looks like a regression, I'll have to figure out what exactly is causing the difference but it happened when I updated the texture management code.
Cleveland Rock

Post by Cleveland Rock »

I see. I wonder what's causing the ammo/weapon glitch, though. It doesn't look like the DECORATE file changes the ammo types or weapon order or anything.
CeeJay

Re: CeeJay's hi-res/enhancement patch (v.8)

Post by CeeJay »

Strange. During my most recent updates I made sure to have the latest build of ECWolf. Will have to look into this.
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

I will say that the texture issue is not your problem. The weapon switching thing I haven't looked into yet, but I would assume it's my problem at this point. (In other words, even though I don't promise backwards compatibility until after 2.0 do assume compat issues are bugs unless I say otherwise.)
Cleveland Rock

Post by Cleveland Rock »

The new ECWolf update fixed the texture problem, but the machine gun bug still remains.

Edit: It seems the bug only happens when you pick up a machine gun that was not dropped by an enemy. The easiest way to replicate the bug is with the hidden machine gun in the very first level.

Also, running this WAD along with the rotation project gives humorous results.
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Do you still have the original Mac and/or Jaguar weapon sprites available for download?
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Thankies! ^_^
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

Cleveland Rock wrote:Edit: It seems the bug only happens when you pick up a machine gun that was not dropped by an enemy. The easiest way to replicate the bug is with the hidden machine gun in the very first level.
Finally got to look at this issue and it's a bug in the mod:

Code: Select all

decorate.txt:94:33:Warning: Overwriting editor number 60 previously assigned to 'MachineGun', use replaces instead.
Added emulation for this error in ECWolf 1.4 and added more warnings.

Code: Select all

decorate.txt:94:33:Warning: 'NewMachineGun' overwrites deprecated editor number 60 previously assigned to 'MachineGun'. This mod will soon break if not changed to 'replaces'!
decorate.txt:94:33:Warning: Deprecated use of editor number for class 'NewMachineGun'.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Purely out if interest, if the mod also already contained a weapon called "NewMachineGun", what would ECWolf do then?
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

Enjay wrote:Purely out if interest, if the mod also already contained a weapon called "NewMachineGun", what would ECWolf do then?
Not sure I follow the question, but if two actors have the same names ECWolf will throw an error.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

What I meant was, if the mod contains an actor that ECWolf needs to auto-rename to something, but the name that ECWolf wants to rename that actor to already exists, what does ECWolf do?

e.g. in this case "MachineGun" is being renamed to "NewMachineGun" but it's easy to imagine a mod that contains a regular replacement for the machine gun and an additional new super-fantastic weapon called "NewMachineGun". So what happens if ECWolf tries to rename "MachineGun" to "NewMachineGun" but finds that the mod already contains another actor called "NewMachineGun"? i.e.the name slot is already taken by another weapon in the mod. What would ECWolf do then?

I assume that it just picks an alternative new name but the question just intrigued me.
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

So I think I need to answer that question the wrong way first to actually have the answer make sense since I think your curiosity is rooted in something that isn't happening:

There's no renaming going on here, it's just replaces as you know it from ZDoom. The only thing that's changing is ECWolf 1.4 is getting rid of editor numbers so all internal tables reference actors by names. (Editor numbers were just a Doomism I copied for no real reason.) So before there was a mapping that said spawn actor 60 where tile <X> was used. ECWolf 1.3 would on map load lookup what 60 was and spawn it. Since the mod overwrite what was at table entry 60 it would spawn the right thing even though you're not supposed to replace things like that. With 1.4 it's now spawn MachineGun where tile <X> was used. So at map load it would spawn the original MachineGun. Even though the editor number table was updated to point to NewMachineGun it's just no longer using that table to load a map. Thus for the 1.3 -> 1.4 transition I've added compatibility which turns editor number replacement into a proper replaces clause. If the actor uses both an editor number and replaces then it does nothing and the mod breaks.

But your question was hypothetical, so the answer is ECWolf doesn't rename anything. It would just throw an error when it sees the second NewMachineGun definition and tell the user to resolve the conflict. Like with ZDoom stacking mods is not really a supported thing.

If that doesn't clear it up I really don't follow your question. :P
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

No, that's fine. Thanks.

My question was indeed rooted in something that wasn't happening but you've now explained what is happening. Thanks again.

Return to “Releases”