Faithful HD Weapon Pack (Update 1.1 released)

For released projects. Completed or in progress as long as something is playable.
User avatar
LkMax
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 13:52

Faithful HD Weapon Pack (Update 1.1 released)

Post by LkMax » Fri Feb 26, 2016 14:52

ECWOLF FAITHFUL HD PACK
(For now, only "HD" weapons and weapon sounds)

The ECWolf faithful HD pack aims to:
- Provide a replacement for the original low definition sprites while retaining the artistic style of the original game.
- Be used with Wolfenstein 3D, Spear of Destiny, both Mission Packs (no blue weapons for now) and the Second Encounter addon for ECWolf.
- Also be used with any ECWolf compatible mod that doesn't change the default weapon sprite definitions.

[Update 1.1]

Changelog:
- New pistol sprite
- Added muzzle reflection on MP40
- Added "hot barrel tip" on Chaingun and expanded its muzzleflash
- New (optional) sound effects on a separated SFX file for all weapons.

DOWNLOAD <== Click here
(click on the big green download button after following the above link)

A little preview (new screenshot but knife is the same):
Spoiler: screenshot
[Original Post]
Spoiler: Original version
Last edited by LkMax on Thu Mar 03, 2016 21:29, edited 1 time in total.

david_a00
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:07

Re: Faithful HD Weapon Pack (First release available)

Post by david_a00 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 17:40

I saw this on the ZDoom forum and played around with it a little bit last night. I only got into ECWolf a week or two ago and I was wondering if something like this existed :)

I'll try to keep my sprite criticisms objective.

Knife - Fine. Wolfenstein's lack of blood when you hit something is somehow much more distracting with the clearer sprite, though (I realize there is nothing to do about this yet).
Luger - It doesn't look much like a Luger to me. I think of a Luger as having fairly clean, slim lines, but this seems bulbous and indistinct. The perspective on the barrel doesn't quite work for me either; I keep seeing it as the player holding a black blob instead of pointing something.
MP40 - Good artwork and most importantly it feels satisfying to use, but the flash could perhaps have a bit more bite to it.
Chaingun - This one doesn't work for me at all. The barrel muzzles feel warped and the flash is too small and distractingly asymmetric. The enormous flash of the original made it extremely satisfying to use because it really felt like you were unloading pure power.

That probably came off a bit negative but it's only because I really like the idea. Coming from Doom the absurdly low-res original sprites are distracting.

User avatar
LkMax
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 13:52

Re: Faithful HD Weapon Pack (First release available)

Post by LkMax » Fri Feb 26, 2016 19:51

Noted. No problem in giving constructive criticism, I know they're not perfect and I still plan to bring updates in the future.

About your feedback specifically:
- The knife can be arranged to get "bloody" by scripting but it's very low on priority if I get to change that;
- The Luger, I already have other sprite in mind that needs some tweaking first, but I disagree that it looks like a "black blob", maybe a different pistol though;
- Although I won't promise the chaingun muzzleflash will be as absurdely big (it's half the size of the weapon :P ), all weapon muzzleflashes are in the "To Do" list of changes.

david_a00
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:07

Re: Faithful HD Weapon Pack (First release available)

Post by david_a00 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 20:44

LkMax wrote: - Although I won't promise the chaingun muzzleflash will be as absurdely big (it's half the size of the weapon :P ), all weapon muzzleflashes are in the "To Do" list of changes.
I see massive muzzleflash as an explicit design choice - you have to make a tradeoff between dealing a lot of damage vs obstructing your view. It's similar to how the plasma gun in Doom can very easily obscure everything.

User avatar
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer
Posts: 2387
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 18:36
Contact:

Re: Faithful HD Weapon Pack (First release available)

Post by Rex Claussen » Fri Feb 26, 2016 21:22

While I don't necessarily disagree with david_a00's observations, I think the new sprites are a huge improvement over the originals. Good work, LkMax.

User avatar
LkMax
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 13:52

Re: Faithful HD Weapon Pack (First release available)

Post by LkMax » Fri Feb 26, 2016 22:39

Rex Claussen wrote:While I don't necessarily disagree with david_a00's observations, I think the new sprites are a huge improvement over the originals. Good work, LkMax.
Thanks :)
david_a00 wrote:
LkMax wrote: - Although I won't promise the chaingun muzzleflash will be as absurdely big (it's half the size of the weapon :P ), all weapon muzzleflashes are in the "To Do" list of changes.
I see massive muzzleflash as an explicit design choice - you have to make a tradeoff between dealing a lot of damage vs obstructing your view. It's similar to how the plasma gun in Doom can very easily obscure everything.
I considered the view being blocked. If you compare on the screenshot you can see that despite the muzzleflash being smaller the view is blocked almost as much (only the botton is less blocked but it would make no difference at that distance).
But I get it, you like big flashes for your big guns. :mrgreen:

david_a00
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:07

Re: Faithful HD Weapon Pack (First release available)

Post by david_a00 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:09

LkMax wrote:
david_a00 wrote:
LkMax wrote: - Although I won't promise the chaingun muzzleflash will be as absurdely big (it's half the size of the weapon :P ), all weapon muzzleflashes are in the "To Do" list of changes.
I see massive muzzleflash as an explicit design choice - you have to make a tradeoff between dealing a lot of damage vs obstructing your view. It's similar to how the plasma gun in Doom can very easily obscure everything.
I considered the view being blocked. If you compare on the screenshot you can see that despite the muzzleflash being smaller the view is blocked almost as much (only the botton is less blocked but it would make no difference at that distance).
But I get it, you like big flashes for your big guns. :mrgreen:
Well yeah :chaingun:
Since Wolf has such poor weapon variation any minor flaw will get amplified by familiarity (especially the MP40 and chain gun).

User avatar
LkMax
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 13:52

Re: Faithful HD Weapon Pack (First release available)

Post by LkMax » Thu Mar 03, 2016 19:40

Coming soon.
I expanded the Chaingun muzzleflash a little bit, replaced the pistol with a new sprite (heavly modified from the Jaguar version), added muzzle reflections on the MP40 and "hot barrel tips" on the chaingun (no changes on the knife).

preview:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

User avatar
LkMax
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 13:52

Re: Faithful HD Weapon Pack (Update 1.1 released)

Post by LkMax » Thu Mar 03, 2016 21:30

Done!

[Update 1.1]

Changelog:
- New pistol sprite
- Added muzzle reflection on MP40
- Added "hot barrel tip" on Chaingun and expanded its muzzleflash
- New (optional) sound effects on a separated SFX file for all weapons.

DOWNLOAD <== Click here
(click on the big green download button after following the above link)

A little preview (new screenshot but knife is the same):
Spoiler: screenshot

RetroWolf92
Retro Gamer + Wolfenstein 3D 1992 = RetroWolf92
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 20:48

Re: Faithful HD Weapon Pack (Update 1.1 released)

Post by RetroWolf92 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 19:56

I don't consider these truly "faithful". To me, "Faithful", means going and actually editing the original sprites and making them less pixelated than vanilla, not replacing them with completely new sprites.

And before you say it, I don't make sprites, I can give criticism on them though.

User avatar
Nokiaman
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 14:25

Re: Faithful HD Weapon Pack (Update 1.1 released)

Post by Nokiaman » Sun Mar 06, 2016 0:47

These look good tbh. Nice work!

User avatar
LkMax
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 13:52

Re: Faithful HD Weapon Pack (Update 1.1 released)

Post by LkMax » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:01

RetroWolf92 wrote:I don't consider these truly "faithful". To me, "Faithful", means going and actually editing the original sprites and making them less pixelated than vanilla, not replacing them with completely new sprites.
There's not much you can do with, I don't know, 16x16 pixels? (the original sprites) So some liberties have to be made.
It's "faithful" in the sense that I maintained approximately the same proportions, color scheme and ideas of the original sprites (the pistol is supposed to look like a luger, the machinegun a MP40 and the chaingun a portable chaingun). What exactly you expected me to do, just double the size of the original sprites? That's what algorithms like HQ4x are made for but they don't look nearly as good, specially for such small sprites like in the vanilla game.
Nokiaman wrote:These look good tbh. Nice work!
Thanks.

User avatar
Nokiaman
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 14:25

Re: Faithful HD Weapon Pack (Update 1.1 released)

Post by Nokiaman » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:53

Also I just realized. Why isn't this in the Releases subforum :D

User avatar
LkMax
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 13:52

Re: Faithful HD Weapon Pack (Update 1.1 released)

Post by LkMax » Thu Mar 17, 2016 15:54

Oh, I didn't notice the little subforum almost hidden up there. :lol:
If a moderator wish he may change it.
PS: I posted on the subforum before because I found a thread through google, I didn't pay attention to it until much later.

User avatar
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer
Posts: 2387
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 18:36
Contact:

Re: Faithful HD Weapon Pack (Update 1.1 released)

Post by Rex Claussen » Thu Mar 17, 2016 21:30

RetroWolf92 wrote:I don't consider these truly "faithful". To me, "Faithful", means going and actually editing the original sprites and making them less pixelated than vanilla, not replacing them with completely new sprites.
While I concede your definition of "faithful" is accurate, I must say that what LkMax has done stays true to the spirit of Wolfenstein, while updating the graphics significantly. As such, it seems pointless to quibble over semantics.

Post Reply

Return to “Releases”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest