Models and flat sprites in software renderer: not happening?

Truecolor ZDoom with extra features and some unofficial/beta GZDoom features.
[Home] [Download] [Git builds (Win)] [Git builds (Mac)] [Libs (Win)] [Repo] [Bugs&Suggestions]

Moderators: Rachael, dpJudas

Nash
Developer
Developer

Models and flat sprites in software renderer: not happening?

Post by Nash »

I was browsing the Mantis board and saw that the entries relates to MODELDEF and brightmaps were closed... I tried looking around both the forums here and there, and couldn't find any discussion. So I figured, if you don't mind me asking... what's the reason? Is it impossible to do with the renderer or something?
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Re: Models and flat sprites in software renderer: not happening?

Post by dpJudas »

I mostly closed them because it is unlikely they will be implemented at this point. Neither are impossible to do, but for now I'm just trying to tie up the loose ends of the refactor - i.e. get the last few globals removed, maybe improve the CMakeLists.txt to compile things with LLVM completely disabled (with just pal rendering), and fully detach softpoly from using swrenderer internals.

To be perfectly honest, doing work on the software renderer has been a mixed bag where I don't really know why I'm doing it anymore. Hence why I just want to properly finish the stuff I already did and move on.
Nash
Developer
Developer

Post by Nash »

Alright, makes sense! I was just curious. :D You've done more than enough work on the software renderer, in my book. :D
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Post by dpJudas »

Thanks Nash. :)
StrikerMan780

Post by StrikerMan780 »

I know that models in the world would be difficult to do with the current sprite clipping, but how viable would it be to get HUD Weapon models working?
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Post by dpJudas »

Now that would be a lot easier. You could even in principle draw them with Direct3D like the other player sprites are done (vid_hw2d).

I haven't really looked at the model code in GZDoom, but I read it is mixed with OpenGL calls as it loads things. If that's the case, this would have to be refactored before the software renderer could access it.
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Post by dpJudas »

Took a look at the actual model loading code and it seems pretty straightforward to fix the OpenGL dependency it has right now. Biggest problem then is to hook up a triangle drawer I suppose.
StrikerMan780

Post by StrikerMan780 »

Thanks for looking into it. With HUD model support, I can work towards shedding some dependency on OpenGL in my mod for those with less than stellar systems. (None of my weapons have sprite alternatives, and can't due to how they are set up. Hundreds of frames.)

Return to “QZDoom”