Reviewing SLADE

General discussion about DRD & website stuff.
ellmo
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Reviewing SLADE

Post by ellmo »

Okay, I know SLADE is out for some time already, but it's has been a while since I played or did anything in Doom, and Slayer's software really caught my attention, and I haven't seen any discussion about that program here, so I'll start one.
I haven't used it long enough to get some accurate reviews, and I only have my computer - so can't really compare with stability on other system specs. So here's just a brief info.

SLADE combines the simplicity of old DEU editors like my beloved DETH an ZETH; it also has a nice interface featuring not-so-many-damn-buttons which makes you feel a bit like WadAuthor; Slayer had also implemented 3D mode that supports ZDoom specials like slopes and translucencies, but not height and color transfers yet. Things like those (and GZDoom, Vavoom, Legacy 3D floors) are to be included. SLADE also has a few quick and useful ways to draw new sectors "by hand", and you can put a desired flat texture in the background to see exactly how does a sector need to be shaped to fit.

But there are also a few bugs and stability issues. The 3D mode tends to crash a lot on high resoultions like 1280x1024, and creating SideDefs in LineDef's properties window just doesn't work.

Please post your opinions on this software. It's 1.12 version available here http://slade.mancubus.net
Paul

Post by Paul »

All sounds nice, but I think I'm too used to Doom Builder :)
grubber
Site Founder

Post by grubber »

Hmm..review in news? :?

*moving*

Perhaps we need some articles section?
Tormentor667
Stronghold Team

Post by Tormentor667 »

Paul wrote:All sounds nice, but I think I'm too used to Doom Builder :)
Same to me, I still feel too much familiar with DB to switch to SLADE. Slayer someday said, that he will most likely add a feature that "mimics" DB in controls and behaviour... that might change my opinion, but not now!
ellmo

Post by ellmo »

Slayer would definitely have to deal with that horrible bugs that make 3D mode crash at least ten times per hour if you're not careful.

I hate to admit but I switched to DB... and I started to like it. But I still use SLADE for viewing and aligning slopes, and ZETH for accurate viewing of flags applied things and sectors. I know it's hard to understand for some (:D NMN) how can one use three different utilities to make one map... but it works very good for me.
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

I remember something about SLADE being cross-platform, has anyone tried it in Linux?
Psycho Siggi

Post by Psycho Siggi »

I got 1.02 to compile in linux (the last GTK version), but not the latest version.
DoomGuy

I tried it.....

Post by DoomGuy »

I downloaded SLADE to give it a try. It crashed many times just trying to use it. I didn't get to try the 3-D mode. It always wanted to send a report to Microsoft. I had just started creating this level using DeePsea 12.13 and it wasn't too big (yet). When I decided that SLADE was crashing too often to use effectively, I loaded the level in DeePsea. WHOA! It was totally messed up! Lines running all over the place. It didn't even look like a Doom map. Not sure what would have caused that but I'm glad I had a backup!
I would like to give it another try. Especially if you can align slopes and will be able to adjust heights. But I think I'll wait for the new version to come out.
Looked promising though! Keep at it!

Return to “General”