Official DRD TEAM Logo Contest Thread

General discussion about DRD & website stuff.
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

I dunno, Torm's is too complicated for a logo. Printing that on things like business cards would be a nightmare due to the gradients. You could kiss letterhead and T-shirts goodbye too. It's even a little complicated for the screen. It needs to be gif-able to fit with web standards.

Bio's logo-making guide
You should stick to no more than 3 colors (not including transparency. Notice how I said "transparancy", very different from "translucency" with which it's often confused), preferably based on primary or secondary printing colors (CMYK). Gradients are a big no-no unless you halftone and dither. (which in some cases can look OK at a high enough resolution such as printing but are generally look abysmal)

When you finish your logo, at least 4 versions should be delivered:
  • A high-resolution, full-color PNG (I use 4096xX pixles)
  • A medium-resolution GIF or PNG (I use 1280xX pixels) for letterhead and other print applications, such as brochures and advertiesments.
  • Same sizes as above, but in black and white. Using dithering here can be kind-of tricky due to the low effective accuracy of the presses cheap b&w stuff is usually printed on. It all depends on what kind of risk you are willing your customer to take. If they take your logo and spend hundreds of dollars on printing business cards and they look like crap, good luck getting thier business again.
  • A really really small GIF (I usually go Xx128) for use on the internet. Dithering isin't so much of a problem here but since it's a GIF (don't try PNG, it's not highly supported enough, especially if you are trying to use it's sole useful feature; translucency) you can't get PNG-like translucency.
Some people like to give out EPS files to the customer, but EPS is a bit complicated and since most companies I have dealt with wouldn't be able to do anything with an EPS, I stay away from it. Remember: Microsoft Office-friendly formats unless otherwise stated.

Sure you can bend the rules a bit depending on the situation, but these are my general guidelines. I'm sure Risen could give a much better explanation.

Now before you whine about what you think, I work very closely with many professional graphic artists so I know these things about logo-making.
I also understand that this is a tiny group that probably doesn't need things like brochures and letterhead, but I'm a purist. ;)
Tormentor667
Stronghold Team

Post by Tormentor667 »

@Bio - I'm sorry to say this but mine was never intended to be printed on anything except the visitors video screen as this wasn't part of the rules in this contest, it was just supposed to be placed on digital sights, nothing else... but well, I can try to make a more simplified version of this logo that can be used for things like busines cards and t-shirts, no problem for me as I am working often with the restrictions given by you (size, color-type, etc) but... honestly, I don't think that most of the doomers here are familiar with all these technical stuff and restrictions, so you will make things even harder with the fact that you want this logo to be a "usable-everywhere" artwork
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

I never said these were rules, but simple guidelines. I'm not in charge of the contest.

It's also probably not a relavent set of guidelines for this particular aplication, but I'm a purist when it comes to design and always go crazy about silly stuff like this.
Paul
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by Paul »

Does it really matter? just make your entries and forum peeps will decide who is the winnar. Seing as there are only 2 entires so far (Shin and Torm) I don't think the rules or any guides have a particular use ;)

Also, please try to post more logos than debate folks.
MaxPower8905

Post by MaxPower8905 »

Here's a WIP of one I just started working on:

I'm still debating on if I should keep it simple or add some more to it.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Looking good there Max. Keep working on it :)
Paul

Post by Paul »

Bumpage. Contest ends in 2 days! - 14th July 06 at 23:00 GMT + 1 (since me and G are this timezone).

Keep those entries coming folks!
Big thanks to guys who already contributed in the thread. Keep working mates. Those entries are awesome so far :thumb:
Paul

Post by Paul »

Last day of contest dudes!

So far we got Shinjanji and Tormentor as contestants. I'd really love for Max Power to finish his logo as it doesn't fit the max 80 pixel height demand yet. Just crop it and you're good to go for entering it.

When the comp closes tonight (GMT + 1 timezone) the poll will be put up and the next 4 days people get to vote. 18th July the winner will be announced.

Have fun in this last day!
MaxPower8905

Post by MaxPower8905 »

Alright, I'll try my best to get it cropped today. I've been having some problems trying to get it that size without it becoming all pixely, but hopefully I'll work something out.

EDIT: Here's the cropped image.
I had to enlarge the text to make it more readable. I'm not too sure if I like how it looks at this size, but I don't know what to do to fix it.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Contest closed (with a slight last-moment delay)

Continue here:
http://forum.drdteam.org/viewtopic.php?t=1988

Return to “General”