How can I make a own bot?

General discussion about DRD & website stuff.
Lightning

How can I make a own bot?

Post by Lightning »

Hello
I want to make a advancer version of the current Zdoom bots, make them act, move better. (Making the AI better in general)
So I've been asking around but I don't get a good answer, how should I start?
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Re: How can I make a own bot?

Post by Enjay »

I don't know what kind of answers you have received so far but the problem is that there isn't a simple answer because the job is a difficult one. The existing ZDoom bots are quite flawed and to improve them would really require a ground-up re-write.
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

My advice would be to start by reading the ZDoom bot code, the Skulltag bot code, and some general literature on the subject.

Once you've understood both the general principles of bot coding, and the specifics of how it can interface in a Doom engine, as well as the kind of things that can be required of it, then you can start.

Ideally, a bot should be good for deathmatch and coop both, as well as easily customizable on the data side (favorite weapons, etc.). They should be able to recognize certain objects as objectives (e.g., a flag in CTF).
Lightning

Post by Lightning »

Gez wrote:My advice would be to start by reading the ZDoom bot code, the Skulltag bot code, and some general literature on the subject.

Once you've understood both the general principles of bot coding, and the specifics of how it can interface in a Doom engine, as well as the kind of things that can be required of it, then you can start.

Ideally, a bot should be good for deathmatch and coop both, as well as easily customizable on the data side (favorite weapons, etc.). They should be able to recognize certain objects as objectives (e.g., a flag in CTF).
But where can I get the ZDoom/Skulltag sources?
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

Well, they aren't that hard to find, but nevertheless these three links should help you.

Return to “General”