How to add a single sprite (tree) in slade

General discussion about DRD & website stuff.
doomexpert

How to add a single sprite (tree) in slade

Post by doomexpert »

HI,

i want to know how to add a sprite without rename an replace a sertain sprite by name so replace the old one by the new one. only i dont know how to copy a sprite from a wad and give that sprite a new name and place it in decorate or obstacles like you see in doombuilder 2...
i dont know what name i should give that new sprite, its just a single tree, when i open a wad in doombuilder 2 i see alot sprites in decorate t(hings)
how do i create numberous of sprites in decorate so i can see them in my decorate or obstacles in doombuilder 2 and use the new ones, i dont know what is the best where to put those sprites.

greets

sorry im new to slade 3
NeoHippo

Re: How to add a single sprite (tree) in slade

Post by NeoHippo »

https://github.com/sirjuddington/SLADE/ ... t-Textures

Textures, sprites, etc are basically all handled the same way, except they go into their respective namespaces.

When asking for help you should specify which port you map for and in which map format. It makes a difference.

Also, if you were to post your questions at other forums like Doomworld or ZDoom or GZDoom you would get help from many more people.

http://forum.zdoom.org/
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/
http://forum.drdteam.org/viewforum.php?f=22
http://zandronum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11
etc.
doomexpert

Post by doomexpert »

They dont tell how you do it, i dont see command keys... thats pissing me off.. they say: now you create this.. yes!!! but how! its not very specific.

''Now, let's set up a bit to prepare for adding flats and textures. Create the following entries as marker lumps, in order: FF_START, F_END, PP_START, PP_END. (Note how there's only one F in F_END, even though there are two in FF_START. ''

You see any commands keys how to make a entry or start marker after the blockmap?????

this wanna make me quit soon...
Blue Shadow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Blue Shadow »

It is easy: let's say the following is your tree actor:

Code: Select all

ACTOR MyLovelyTree
{
  Height 72
  Radius 32
  +SOLID
  States
  {
  Spawn:
    MTRE A -1
    Stop
  }
}
What you want to do is give it a unique Doom editor number (this is very important if you want your thing to be seen and used from within the map editor). Let's give it the number 11001. Our tree's code should look like this now:

ACTOR MyLovelyTree 11001 // <-- Look here...
{
  Height 72
  Radius 32
  +SOLID
  States
  {
  Spawn:
    MTRE A -1
    Stop
  }
}
When you load that in Doom Builder, you will find it in the "Decorate" category. Now, if you want it to be in a different category, you need to add the //$Category DECORATE key to the tree's code:

ACTOR MyLovelyTree 11001
{
  //$Category obstacles // <-- Look here...
  Height 72
  Radius 32
  +SOLID
  States
  {
  Spawn:
    MTRE A -1
    Stop
  }
}
With that line, there, the tree should now be placed in the "obstacles" category, instead of the "Decorate" one.

As for how to name sprites, see here and here; in the above example, as you see in the Spawn state of the tree actor, I named the tree MTRE, and the frame I used was A, so the sprite's lump name in the WAD should be MTREA0.
doomexpert

Post by doomexpert »

that would not be scripting in you doombuilder 2/gzdoom builder right? but with slade 3 which file i must edit? what i want to do is to copy a sprite from another wad into my pwad and put that in my decorate. not to create one.. so let make that clear. its odd for me that i must put in radius and heigt.. it has already information, why should i write it again... ehm and what if i put another tree in decorate would it be the same number? 11001?
Blue Shadow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Blue Shadow »

I thought you wanted to create something from scratch. My bad.

Now, copying the sprite alone will not be enough. You need to also copy all related files, if any. Since this is just a tree, there is probably only sprites and DECORATE code for it. So, copy those into your WAD, and make sure the sprites are between SS_START and SS_END markers, just like you see in the screenshot:
Spoiler:
doomexpert wrote:what if i put another tree in decorate would it be the same number? 11001?
No, it should be given a different and unique number, like 11002 or some other number...
doomexpert

Post by doomexpert »

How do you know if some number is not used? And what if if you dont know the sequence of the number, so if you used 11010 and you dont know if you should begin with 10 or 11 or 12.
Blue Shadow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Blue Shadow »

doomexpert wrote:How do you know if some number is not used?
Here, you can find a list of already used editor numbers.
And what if if you dont know the sequence of the number, so if you used 11010 and you dont know if you should begin with 10 or 11 or 12.
Knowing the sequence does not matter; the important thing, here, is to pick a unique number between 1 and 32767 that is also not already used by other things.
doomexpert

Post by doomexpert »

now what related files exactly? i do not have DECORATE in my pwad, what code do i have to copy with the sprite/item.
Blue Shadow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Blue Shadow »

doomexpert wrote:i do not have DECORATE in my pwad
Just create one; [wiki]DECORATE[/wiki] is just a text-based lump.

Alternatively, you can copy it from whatever WAD you are trying to get this tree from, and then edit it to only leave the tree's code.
doomexpert

Post by doomexpert »

Blue Shadow wrote:
doomexpert wrote:i do not have DECORATE in my pwad
Just create one; [wiki]DECORATE[/wiki] is just a text-based lump.

Alternatively, you can copy it from whatever WAD you are trying to get this tree from, and then edit it to only leave the tree's code.
yes but they never tell you how to do it... how to make a text based lump like decorate. luckely there is a shortcut to find words, ctrl+F. and the first word tree is found in 10.000 lines of decorate code. my question is, do i have only the decorate and the sprite needed, in order to copy everything what is needed to copy a sprite correctly.
Last edited by doomexpert on Sun Oct 26, 2014 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

It's a text based lump, so you can extract it from the WAD and load it in to the text editor of your choice (e.g. notepad or something better) and use the search facility in that.

By "text based lump" we mean it's actually just a text file that's inside a WAD. So, take it out again and treat it like any other text file.
doomexpert

Post by doomexpert »

Blue Shadow wrote:

When you load that in Doom Builder, you will find it in the "Decorate" category. Now, if you want it to be in a different category, you need to add the //$Category DECORATE key to the tree's code:

ACTOR MyLovelyTree 11001
{
  //$Category obstacles // <-- Look here...
  Height 72
  Radius 32
  +SOLID
  States
  {
  Spawn:
    MTRE A -1
    Stop
  }
}
With that line, there, the tree should now be placed in the "obstacles" category, instead of the "Decorate" one.

As for how to name sprites, see here and here; in the above example, as you see in the Spawn state of the tree actor, I named the tree MTRE, and the frame I used was A, so the sprite's lump name in the WAD should be MTREA0.
and can i make also more dir's, like decorate or obstacles, or can i only put sprites in that category? is it easy to make obstacles 1 or obstacles 2 etc.
it works correctly when i copy the code and graphics doom sprite. ive just copy the decorate file from another wad and delete all of the text and copy code in it which i want to use in my wad.
Blue Shadow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Blue Shadow »

You do not need to do anything special to have a thing be placed in a new category. It is as simple as assigning the thing to that new category. Example:

ACTOR Shotgun2 : Shotgun 11001
{
  //$Category blah blah
}
A new category, named "blah blah", will be automatically created (since it doesn't exist by default), and that shotgun will be placed in it.

Return to “General”