Very New Here. help!!

General discussion about DRD & website stuff.
Doom357

Very New Here. help!!

Post by Doom357 »

Hi all,iam very new here and need assistance!!

I got rid of my windows 7 for XP just so I can play this "Brutal Doom"!!
So, I have a few questions and concerns!!
I do not have Doom 1 or 2, but I have the Final doom. I researched Brutal doom, for it too tell me I need these: Zandronum 2.0, and GZdoom 1.8 to get Brutal Doom to work.
I then download Zandronum 2.0 and it extracted into my Final doom so i played Plutonia and TNT to make sure they work. They did.
I then go to download GZdoom 1.8.07 ,and after extracting I click on the DoomGuy icon and it tells me that the .exe I clicked on was not a Win32 application. So I downloaded a previous Gzdoom 1.8.02.
Just as I extract everything I go again to click on the DoomGuy logo
and this pops up:

Execution could not continue.

Cannot find a game IWAD (doom.wad, doom2.wad, heretic.wad, etc.).
Did you install ZDoom properly? You can do either of the following:

1. Place one or more of these wads in the same directory as ZDoom.
2. Edit your zdoom-username.ini and add the directories of your iwads
to the list beneath [IWADSearch.Directories]

Now I have no idea what to do where to go how to get help so I came here. How can I get this Brutal Doom to work for me and my final doom??
Blue Shadow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Very New Here. help!!

Post by Blue Shadow »

Hello there.
Doom357 wrote:I got rid of my windows 7 for XP just so I can play this "Brutal Doom"!!
There was absolutely no reason for doing that. Brutal Doom is just a mod for GZDoom and Zandronum source ports, and those source ports work fine on Windows 7 and above.
I researched Brutal doom, for it too tell me I need these: Zandronum 2.0, and GZdoom 1.8 to get Brutal Doom to work.
You don't need both ports to play the mod, only one is enough.
I then go to download GZdoom 1.8.07 ,and after extracting I click on the DoomGuy icon and it tells me that the .exe I clicked on was not a Win32 application.
If I recall, the way the binary was built rendered it unusable on Windows XP (or something like that). Try 1.8.10.
So I downloaded a previous Gzdoom 1.8.02.
Just as I extract everything I go again to click on the DoomGuy logo
and this pops up:

Execution could not continue.

Cannot find a game IWAD (doom.wad, doom2.wad, heretic.wad, etc.).
Did you install ZDoom properly? You can do either of the following:

1. Place one or more of these wads in the same directory as ZDoom.
2. Edit your zdoom-username.ini and add the directories of your iwads
to the list beneath [IWADSearch.Directories]
In the same folder where you extracted GZDoom, put the Plutonia and TNT wads.
Doom357

Post by Doom357 »

Thanks for the help!
What Wads are you referring to? The Zandronum 2.0? I just downloaded gzdoom1.8.10 it says the same problem with finding the WAD. Where are the plutonia wad and tnt wad located? Zandronum works, gzdoom doesnt. Now I just need help finding my WADS? and placing them in the correct area.
Blue Shadow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Blue Shadow »

They should be where you have the Final Doom games installed.

You can always do a file search if you can't really figure out where they are located. The files are plutonia.wad and tnt.wad.
Doom357

Post by Doom357 »

I literally completely forgot about My Computer.
Thanks again I found the files you were tellin me about ;)DOOM
Doom357

Post by Doom357 »

After i dragged my Doom wads into the coreect spot, the gzdoom runs now. But i dont have anything except options too choose. Where are all the weapons and monsters and maps at??? im so confused
Doom357

Post by Doom357 »

Sorry i got frustrated and started over, Ive been reading guides. Your advice helped alot. but i need more. I need outline as if you were explaining it to the person next to you. My cousin is in from the navy, I have too computers and grew up on doom so I want to try this brutal doom before he leaves on sunday so i must start from scratch. !!!
Blue Shadow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Blue Shadow »

Doom357 wrote:After i dragged my Doom wads into the coreect spot, the gzdoom runs now. But i dont have anything except options too choose. Where are all the weapons and monsters and maps at??? im so confused
I'm not really sure what you mean by that. What should happen after you put the WADs and run GZDoom is that you get a game selection window akin to this.

Anyway, to play Brutal Doom, you simply drag and drop the brutalv20.pk3 file onto the GZDoom executable. You'll get that same game selection window. Choose which Final Doom game you want to play, and launch it.

Brutal Doom doesn't come with its own maps, so you'll be playing the original Final Doom maps with it.

Return to “General”