Upgrade to phpBB 3.1

General discussion about DRD & website stuff.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Upgrade to phpBB 3.1

Post by Rachael »

Test site here: http://phpbb.drdteam.org/

Once I figure out how to port page portals to this site, this main forum will be upgraded as well.

One thing I really would like is a style that feels more uniquely "DRD Team" like.

Important note: Once this upgrade goes through, all old styles will be removed. As much as I would like to keep the "old look", it's really time to move on. Guests and new users have been using the new styles on this site for a while now.

At this point, it's a work in progress. Feel free to log in and play around - your password as of Tue 2016/02/23 @ 15:30 UTC should work.
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Re: Upgrade to phpBB 3.1

Post by Tiger »

The new phpBB version really works nicely with my mobile; I hope the upgrade goes well!
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

It seems the wiki tag code has suffered from the upgrade:

Joystick options, instead of linking to http://zdoom.org/wiki/Joystick_options, links to http://zdoom.org/wiki/Http://phpbb3.drd ... ck_options -- which obviously doesn't work.

The other wiki tags are also affected:

[dwiki]Entryway[/dwiki]

[swiki]Zandronum[/swiki]
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Thank you, Gez. I never would've caught that.

That actually happened in this board's upgrade to 3.0.14, which I did a few days ago.
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

Glad to see this so quickly fixed. :)
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Good news. Upgrading is going to be a LOT easier than I thought. I've already ported the portal pages to 3.1 with only 5 minutes of work. (Wonder why I was so scared to try it before)

Bad news - I am still not sure whether I really want to abandon all the old styles. I do believe in user choice, but I also think that having 20 different styles available is making for a bit of administration overhead when doing site upgrades. Most of them aren't even updated.

If anyone uses the old styles, and is still really attached to them - please let me know. I might try and find equivalents before the actual upgrade.

Subsilver2 is available in the new version, so I might play around with that and see if I can port DRD's original theme - but everyone who wants it will have to manually switch to it, because theme preferences are not transferred in the upgrade.

The theme that's currently default by Artodia will not be making the transition. Too buggy for my taste.

Also, this means that the upgrade is going to happen sometime within the next two weeks if not sooner. I really think this site can benefit from 3.1's improvements, and it has a few features that will allow me to give my moderators more freedom.
Blue Shadow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Blue Shadow »

Eruanna wrote:If anyone uses the old styles, and is still really attached to them - please let me know. I might try and find equivalents before the actual upgrade.
If you can find a dark theme with easier-on-the-eyes color for the general text (i.e something less white), I'd be happy. For reference, I'm using Hermes.

The current default on the new version of the forums is nice (it has blue and black -- I can't complain, here!), but I'm not too much of a fan of the grays, and the text is just too bright (too white) for me.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

I was going to redo that style, anyway, I too am unhappy with it. It's just ne_blackgreen run through ColorizeIt with only one change, and a couple tweaks to the css. I'm gonna try and do a better screencap of the original style and change more of the colors.

That being said, if I find a 3.1 Hermes I'll definitely download it. :)
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

I don't mind the new style too much, but I'd rather have the background back to being a dark blue (as in DRDTeam 2100 Original Cyan) instead of stark black.

Trying a few of these styles on phpbb's style tester, I kinda like Digi. It's a bit austere but it's soft on the eyes.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Is there a missing typeface on Digi? I kinda like the appearance but the "Unknown Glyph" boxes in the breadcrumbs box is driving me nuts.

I am using Windows 8.1 - are they appearing on other operating systems properly, for anyone?
Blue Shadow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Blue Shadow »

Using Windows 10 with Firefox, I get the same issue, yes. On my iPad with Safari, however, I don't. It's working fine there.

I do like this style, though. :yup:
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

Eruanna wrote:Is there a missing typeface on Digi? I kinda like the appearance but the "Unknown Glyph" boxes in the breadcrumbs box is driving me nuts.
Heh, I'm so used to see them appear on sites just because I haven't enabled javascript that I don't even notice them anymore.

Looking into it with Firebug, I have come to the sobering conclusion that I really don't understand how HTML and CSS work anymore.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Redid the style.

I think this is closer to what's going to be final when I do the upgrade. This is what was holding me back from doing it before.

I've reduced the presence of a lot of the grays and changed them to blues, and I also changed the ugly brown color to a higher shade of cyan/sky blue.
Gez wrote:just because I haven't enabled javascript
That actually was another reason why I wanted to do the upgrade. The current default style requires javascript to work properly - and for what? Fade-ins and scroll-ins? Not my cup of tea. In fact, I even personally switched to Dark-Shines just to get away from that.

Honestly, I wish phpBB included both white and black styles by default. phpBB is by far the most popular forum software for non-commercial sites, especially those having to do with gaming, and having a white background for such sites is very tacky. In fact, it's far more often that I see a black or gray based theme than a white based theme on any phpBB board.

I do believe in user choice, but there's really not a lot you can't do just loading in your own custom style-sheet anyway. And popular browsers today either have an extension to support it, or they support it loading them in directly.

Also, white text with a dark background is far easier on the eyes. The eyes fatigue a lot slower than when reading black text on a white background - and at my age, I can really feel the difference.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

The upgrade is now live. I will split and move your posts to this thread - I would prefer the discussion continue there. :) (Sorry, I just want to keep it consolidated and organized)

For all intents and purposes, this thread is more about the testing forum, and can be considered defunct and is only going to be kept for historical reasons.

Return to “General”