Bug: Player sprite translation still palette restricted in true colour renderer

Moderators: Rachael, dpJudas

Nash
Developer
Developer

Bug: Player sprite translation still palette restricted in true colour renderer

Post by Nash »

For the true colour software renderer, the Player sprite's translation is still restricted to the limited palette colours. For example, if I try to make a cyan Doomguy (R: 0, G: 255, B: 255), the world sprite just gets butchered by the Doom palette.

In the Player menu, it looks correct. Only the world sprite looks wrong.

In OpenGL, everything looks good (same as GZDoom)
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Re: Bug: Player sprite translation still palette restricted in true colour renderer

Post by dpJudas »

This is currently working as intended (well, as coded :p). I did have the impression that GZDoom was doing it the same way with translation, but maybe GZDoom handles the player sprite differently - I'm not sure.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Re: Bug: Player sprite translation still palette restricted in true colour renderer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Actually, translations contain a full RGB palette for the translated colors. GZDoom of course uses this to translate in-game textures, as does the 2D interface in ZDoom.
In fact I went to great lengths to make this work well, that's why FHardwareTexture contains such explicit translation support.
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Post by dpJudas »

Hmm, that's very interesting. The current code picking the translation in the swrenderer looks like this:

Code: Select all

FRemapTable *table = TranslationToTable(translation);
		if (table != NULL && !table->Inactive)
		{
			dc_translation = table->Remap;
		}
If I understand you correctly, if it used FRemapTable's Palette instead of Remap it would get the full palette?
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Post by dpJudas »

Seems the answer to that question is yes. Thanks for the tip, Graf! Now that was an easy change. :)

Return to “Closed Bugs”