Random crash :O

Moderators: Rachael, dpJudas

Nash
Developer
Developer

Random crash :O

Post by Nash »

Sorry if this is too cryptic but me and undead003 were playing multiplayer with mapsofchaos-hc.wad and suddenly I got booted out of the game with this on the console:
Execution could not continue.

Fatal drawer error: DrawColumnLLVMCommand
dest_y = 601, count = 5, flags = 0
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Re: Random crash :O

Post by dpJudas »

I have seen this happen once on my computer as well. And we have a couple of other reports with this same error message. It would seem that sprites may sometimes be reading out of bounds when sampling from the texture. I'm not entirely sure of the cause for this yet.

I will probably make a change to the error handling code so that a read access violation will no longer cause a fatal error. That should at least reduce any such error to a frame rendering being wrong and some message written out into the console. Longer term, the way texture coordinates are fed into the drawer functions needs to be modified to prevent this from ever happening again - something I had planned on doing anyway to add the linear filtering support to sprites.
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Post by dpJudas »

Okay, I've implemented a workaround for this crash. The Windows version will no longer crash if it encounters a read access violation in one of the drawers. You might see a message in the console writing out some data about it, but that should only happen once per session.

The root cause of this crash is due to the 'texturefrac' argument passed into the drawers being out of bounds, as illustrated by this screenshot:

Somehow the start texture coordinate is at -0.3, which indicates some kind of issue in R_DrawMaskedColumn.
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Post by dpJudas »

Okay tracked down the out of bounds issue in R_DrawMaskedColumn and fixed that as well. This shouldn't be happening anymore.
Nash
Developer
Developer

Post by Nash »

Thank you! I will do some stress-test playing to see if this has been fixed for good, but in the mean time, if you think code-wise that this has been plugged, you may close this thread. :D
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Post by dpJudas »

You're welcome. The good news is that even if you do encounter this issue again it won't kick you out of your multiplayer game. It will just write a message about a read access violation in the console. :)

Return to “Closed Bugs”