Voice-Acting For Parallax

Moderator: Rex Claussen

Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Voice-Acting For Parallax

Post by Rex Claussen »

The first episode of Parallax is Paranoia: Slight Return. As I previously indicated, the episode loosely recreates Paranoia within the Paranoid universe. The protagonist remains the same (Lt. Col. R. "Johnny" Alvarez, Ph.D, Prisoner I.D. HK-420B), and the game again starts with Alvarez in military confinement. The "resonance cascade" results in malfunctioning of the jail doors, and Alvarez is able to escape.

The objective of this episode is to disable satellite communication, so that Legion Earth (the organization in Paranoiac that helps Dr. Bellmer of Paranoid fame) can resist the evil alien overlords and their boot-licking underlings on Earth, thereby saving the planet, blah, blah, blah.

I would like to use a "handler", such as Col. Stinson in Paranoiac, who passes relevant information to the player via messages. Ideally, I'd like to use the same character (Col. Stinson) and the same voice actor (Rachael/Eruanna). However, in the event that Rachael is unwilling or unable to provide the voice acting I'm perfectly content to accept a suitable alternative. I will send Rachael a PM on ZDooM, as she doesn't seem to frequent these forums any more. But she might not be interested.

Accordingly, this is a shout out to anyone that wants to volunteer their voice-acting skills. The job is well-paying .... On second thoughts, the job is NOT well-paying; in fact it pays nothing at all. To boot, you'll get a cranky game-developer who is likely to get up in your business constantly because you've missed deadlines by a few hours. Etc.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Re: Voice-Acting For Parallax

Post by Rachael »

I'll reprise my role. Sorry about not frequenting this forum as much anymore; when GZDoom moved out it became pretty silent and a lot harder to remember to keep checking.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Rachael wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 20:15I'll reprise my role.
Excellent!

I'll send you the scripts for your review soon. We can discuss any edits you wish to make, and then you can record the scripts. Mapping in the Paranoia: Slight Return episode is mostly done, but it will still take me a while to put in the gameplay and do internal testing before the episode is ready for play-testing. As such, there is no flaming hurry to do the voice-acting.
Sorry about not frequenting this forum as much anymore; when GZDoom moved out it became pretty silent and a lot harder to remember to keep checking.
No worries. The only thing I might ask you to do is check your PMs on this forum. I am unable to stay logged in to these forums, and I had sent you a couple of PMs about this.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

This appears to be a https issue. The forum for whatever reason is allowing non-https connections. I'll try and fix it so it redirects to https automatically. (btw it's good practice never to log in to non-https sites nowadays, browsers try to warn you about it)

And - done. It appears that phpBB3 now comes with its own .htaccess file and overwrites the one I had in place.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Rachael wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:55And - done.
Thanks, Rachael. It all looks good now.
Davitch
Phobos Directive

Post by Davitch »

I'd actually be up to doing a little bit of voice acting nowadays if you need it. I'm kind of decent at imitating a Slavic accent or a Middle Eastern accent. I can also talk in my default, American accent, of course, and might also be able to assume the role of a character with a Southern drawl, though I'm probably the least proficient with that.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

I've lived in the US south for a decade now, suffice to say my drawl is a bit stronger than I actually would like it to be .....
Davitch
Phobos Directive

Post by Davitch »

Rachael wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:08 I've lived in the US south for a decade now, suffice to say my drawl is a bit stronger than I actually would like it to be .....
FWIW I don't necessarily think Southern drawls sound "bad". I think Chubzdoomer has a really cool-sounding drawl (I think he's from Texas...?). I didn't notice your drawl in your voice acting of Col. Stinson in Paranoiac.

You all let me know if you need any additional voice acting. It would actually be pretty fun to do, and would probably take quite a bit less time than putting together music for Parallax does.

I also definitely have a lot of good software tools that can enhance spoken word, deal with sibilance, and make the recordings sound pretty good quality/polished overall. I wouldn't be able to make a professional quality master, but I could probably enhance the voice acting recordings a bit. So if that's needed, let me know.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Davitch wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:23 You all let me know if you need any additional voice acting.
Yes!

FWIW, I'm still working on the scripts. I haven't decided if the main character (Lt. Col. R. "Johnny" Alvarez, Ph.D Prisoner I.D. HK-420B) should have a speaking role. This requires quite a bit of thought, as we need to decide if the character ought to have one-liners only (a la Duke Nukem), or have some semblance of dialog. You could do that voice.

Col Stinson definitely has an extensive speaking (narrative) part, and Dr. Zimmerman makes an appearance.
I also definitely have a lot of good software tools that can enhance spoken word, deal with sibilance, and make the recordings sound pretty good quality/polished overall. I wouldn't be able to make a professional quality master, but I could probably enhance the voice acting recordings a bit. So if that's needed, let me know.
Enhanced recordings are always welcome. However, I don't have those tools and Dr. Zimmerman's voice might seem ragged compared to your character's voice.

Return to “Parallax”